A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) TWELVE

The exam period was finally over. JongHyun had a three week break from school now. Well, it wasn’t much of a break since he’d be working the whole time. He still had a bunch of student loads to pay back and he was already late with his rent for his apartment. Needless to say, he was very stressed out with money. Which was probably why he was at the shop now begging Onew for extra shift (he wasn’t about to ask for a raise when he was already over paid).

            “Please hyung! Can I please have more shifts? I’ll work with Jessica even! I want to work triple shifts! Quadruple shifts would be great!” JongHyun begged. He let out a heavy sigh when Onew shook his head for the hundredth time.

                “JongHyun, I’m not going to give you extra shifts. You already suckered me into giving you double shifts – you’re going to end up working more than me if I let you work anymore,” he said.

            It was like a massive blow to the gut. If JongHyun couldn’t get extra shifts then he wouldn’t be able to pay off all his debts. He was drowning in the money – or his lack of it rather.

            One look at Onew told him that he wasn’t going to get any more shifts so he went back to his work. Grabbing a box of sparkly pink pencils they’d just received and went to go sort them far away from his boss. His mind reeled with ideas of what he could do to get more money. Even with the salary he had now he couldn’t keep up with his bills. The only solution he could think of was getting another job. But that would mean he would have to work nights… Then how would he get any sleep?

            Stuck in the middle of his thoughts JongHyun didn’t’ even realize that he was setting up the pencils improperly. The only reason he noticed his mistake was because Key’s saucy voice spoke up behind him.

            “You idiot, what are you doing?” he asked, grabbing the pencils away from JongHyun with his good hand. He worked quickly and efficiently, rearranging the display until it was arranged to his satisfaction. “What’s wrong with you?” Key demanded.

            The other boy sighed, not being comfortable enough with Key yet to reveal all the issues he was having. To avoid a confrontation he picked up the now empty cardboard box and headed back to fetch another box. To his displeasure, Key was still there. His still slightly bruised eyes were narrowed at him and his casted arm was crossed with the other.

            “What do you want?” JongHyun asked quite crankily.

            “Don’t get snappy with me. I came here to check up on you,” Key answered.

            “Well, I’m fine. Can you move please?” He tried to nudge his way around the guy but he stood his ground.

            “Listen to me,” he prodded.

            “I said please,” JongHyun ignored.

            Flustered that JongHyun wasn’t listening to him, Key grabbed the box from him and tossed it aside. He embellished in the fact that he was taller than the elder and sized him up.