A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) FORTY-TWO

His boots slid over the icy sidewalk as he ran as fast as he could away from the hospital. His blood pumped quickly through his body. Gasping breaths rung in his ears as he tore through the white clouds he produced.

            He felt like he could run forever. He would have to run forever if he wanted to get away from his past.

            When the hospital was completely out of his sight JongHyun slowly began to reconnect with the real world. The sound of cars was accentuated as well as the sound of his hard, pounding footsteps.

            “Hyung! JongHyun hyung!” Key yelled desperately. His mouth felt dry with the effort it took to breathe. There was a reason he had skipped gym class in high school! “Hyung!” he somehow managed to choke out again. His foot caught on a jutting piece of sidewalk and he tumbled after JongHyun. Finally, he’d ceased running and allowed Key a chance to regain his footing.

            The two stood in the middle of the sidewalk gasping for oxygen. Key’s lungs burned in angry protest as he inhaled cold air into them. It was like a thousand tiny needles were stabbing into his organs – revenge for making them work twice as hard.       

            “What was that?” Key demanded when his tongue finally unwrapped itself from the icy tendrils of the cold outdoors.

            JongHyun turned to face his boyfriend and shot him and apologetic look. In his haste to rush out of there he’d forgotten that he’d been pulling Key along behind him. Judging by his flushed face and heaving chest the run hasn’t been easy for him.

            “I’m sorry,” he apologized.

            “Sorry won’t regulate my heartbeat,” Key snapped. He wanted to take back his words as soon as he said them. JongHyun was already going through a lot and his temper wasn’t going to help anything. Sometimes he just couldn’t control his attitude.

            “Sorry… I can’t control my anger sometimes…” Key mumbled quietly. He hung his head in shame over his actions.

            Seconds later he felt two hands settle on his waist and tug him towards him. Glancing up Key was met with a semi-forced smile on JongHyun’s face.

            He said, “Don’t worry about it… You’re cute when you’re mad.”

            “I should get angry with you more often then,” Key said. He flashed a cheeky grin to the elder and lit up when they were pressed with a kiss. “Seriously, though, hyung… What was all that about?”

            JongHyun’s face drooped slightly. His hands moved from Key’s waist and back to his hand.

            “Let’s go home,” he said, ignoring Key’s question.

            Afraid to push JongHyun too far Key could do nothing but follow like a faithful boyfriend. They walked into the empty store and the familiar bells greeted them. As they ascended the stairs they could hear Onew clamouring about in the kitchen. With all that was going on JongHyun hadn’t even noticed that it was time for supper. The blue sky was slowly transitioning to a rich orange and blush pink outside as the sun settled down for its nap.

            “We’re home!” JongHyun called while kicking off his sneakers.

            “I’m making chicken! I hope you’re not hungry!” Onew yelled from the kitchen.

            The humour in his lame joke couldn’t be left unrecognized. The two boys praised his gag with their laughter and joined their hyung.