A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) TWENTY-FOUR

Onew and Key steadied JongHyun as he once again stumbled over the sidewalk. His hair flopped with each heavy step he took and his words strung together in near incomprehensible sentences when he spoke.

            “So,” Onew began, keeping an eye on JongHyun like he was his child or puppy. “What’s going on with you and Mr. Happy over there?”

            Key flushed bright red and this time not from the alcohol. He buried his hands deep into his skinny jeans’ pockets before saying, “Nothing.” Though it clearly was something.

            “Don’t lie… I’ve known you too long for you to lie to me,” Onew reprimanded playfully.

            “It’s nothing, really,” Key insisted.

            He was fixe with a hard stare that he often got when Onew knew he was hiding something from him. Like that time where Key had accidentally started a small fire in the corner of the store and had tried desperately to hide it from Onew.

            “I’m not dumb; you can tell me,” the elder assured.

            Key sighed. He never could hide anything from Onew. This was just like that time when he had found out he was gay and had tried to hide it from him. The older boy had nearly tortured the information out of him – he could never eat fried chicken normally again.

            “I like him,” Key mumbled, staring wistfully at JongHyun who had stopped to admire something in a store window.

            “I thought you hated him?” Onew asked.

            “I did… But I don’t know what happened… He’s just so cute and funny… Smart… And my mom likes him.”

            Here, Onew had to cut Key off. “He met your mom?”

            “Yeah, I brought him to my house after you sent us home that time.”

            “Oh, okay… Keep going.”

            “I know you’ll find this crazy, but I only wanted to go to school to spend more time with him. You know, so I could make sure of my feelings and all…”

            “That’s why you worked your butt of to get in? I knew there was something weird going on when you told me you were applying. But why the advanced program?”

            “I wanted to be at the same level as him.”

            “You’re crazy.”

            Key rolled his eyes and continued with his story. “When we had lunch with EunJi noona I felt jealous… I guess that’s when I actually started acknowledging my feelings for him.”