A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) THIRTY-FOUR

During the whole exam Key was sure that everyone could hear his heart beating in the dead quiet of the room. He didn’t know how he managed to focus on his exam with so much on his mind. Thankfully he had everything memorized so the answers pretty much wrote themselves.

            The clock ticked the time away. Mocking him with each second that passed. Key let his mind drift to an alternate universe nestled somewhere in the corner of his brain. He imagined a world where time didn’t exist. That would mean that exams like these wouldn’t matter, people wouldn’t die, but no one would be born either… So everyone would be with the same people forever…

            “Times up everyone. Please put down your pencils and hand in your tests,” the teacher said.

            Everyone rose from their seats, tests in hand ready to give to the professor. Some people looks highly discouraged – most likely the ones who hadn’t bothered to study – while others looked almost overly cocky. Hopefully they wouldn’t get horrible marks on their tests, Key thought sarcastically.

            He fell in step behind one of his classmates. Out of the corner of his eye he saw JongHyun waiting for him by the doorway. His messenger bag was slung over his shoulder, dangling over his hip. The overall look was model like and teasing to the young boy.

            Key quickly handed his test to the professor and bounced over to JongHyun. Every muscle in Key’s body was bunched up from the nervousness he held. Today was the day everything was going to change…

            The outside air rushed around the duo once they stepped outside. The bitter winter cold punched at their cheeks and noses – any bare part of their skin that it could reach essentially. Key pulled his trench coat tighter around himself, wishing he hadn’t forgotten his gloves at home. JongHyun didn’t seem to be faring any better. His chin touched his chest, angling his head so it was tilted against the wind.

            How could one man be so cute?

            “How do you think you did on the exam? Key asked.

            JongHyun shrugged, brushing his bangs out of his face. “It was pretty easy. There was that last question, though…” Everything sounded all blurred together. Key was too focused on the way his lips moved with each syllable he pronounced. The way his eyelashes stuck together sometimes and he had to blink a bunch of times to separate them.

            Everything about him was so great… He was smart, independent, funny…

            “Watch out!” JongHyun suddenly yelled.

           A spray of slushy water rained down all over Key’s left side. Instantly he felt his fingers go completely numb, as well as his toes and everything else dripping with the brown tainted sludge.

            “Oh, my gosh!” Key shrieked. He flicked some slush off his face, staring at the car driving away like they hadn’t just sprayed him with a bunch of freezing snow.

            Loud chortles escalated to an embarrassing volume. JongHyun literally keeled over from how much he was guffawing. He couldn’t believe what he had just seen.

            “You look like a drowned dog!” he exclaimed through a particularly loud laugh.

            “It’s not funny!” Key screamed, smacking JongHyun on the chest.

            “Come on, the store’s just around the corner,” the elder managed to get out between his laughs.

            Perfect, Key thought despite his situation. That way he’d be able to get a little more comfortable with JongHyun.