A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) NINETEEN

“Aish! Why am I doing this?! Shouldn’t JongHyun hyung be lifting all the boxes? Where is that stupid dog anyways? He’s supposed to be working today!” Key continued his rant as he struggled to push the trolley holding the entire latest inventory.

            All morning, he and Onew had been lugging boxes to and fro like they had before JongHyun had been hired. Needless to say, it was greatly aggravating Key to be sweating in the heat doing the dino’s job when he still considered himself a handicap.

            Onew came up behind his old friend, dumping his boxes beside his.

            “Didn’t I tell you? I sent JongHyun home for a while – banned him from the store until he rested up,” Onew said.

            At this, Key stopped fussing over his hair to listen to. Worry seeped into the cracks splintering his diva image.

            Had JongHyun done something wrong?

            “Why?” Key asked.

            “He passed out yesterday so I made him take a small, paid vacation… Oh! He told me to tell you to meet him at the café down the street Tuesday at lunch so he can tutor you.”

            Excitement blurred with Key’s concern until his insides were fluffed up like cotton candy. He couldn’t decide whether to be worried about JongHyun’s health of completely school girl crazy over the fact that he’d get to be alone with the hunk for a couple hours at least.

            “Oh, my God!” Key suddenly yelled.

            “What?” Onew asked, panic tainting his voice.

            “N-nothing… I-I thought I saw a spider,” Key lied.

            He watched his hyung’s eyes widen in fear scream ‘Where?!’ a few times and then run out of the store.

            It left time for Key to think about what had just happened. For a moment he had lost all sanity and thought of JongHyun in positive ways. Albeit, he realized he had grown soft with that display ruining dog, but he hadn’t lost all the hate he held for him… Had he?

            Key wasn’t sure. The line he had carefully drawn between co-worker and friend had been crossed the minute he had decided to go into the same university program as him. Even then, he thought, he kind of crossed the line between friendship and…

            “Love…” Key whispered. He quickly brought his cast up to wack himself in the head with it.

            This was not love. It was a crush… A crush he had on the puppy man… A puppy crush. That’s it. He could accept that.

            A near giddy emotion possessed Key and h found a goofy smile on his face.