A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) TWENTY-THREE

“I GOT IN!” Key yelled, racing into the store. He was panting from running all the way from his place. He’d been anxiously waiting for the letter that would tell him whether or not he would be accepted in the advanced program for nearly two weeks now. With this being the last week before the fall semester commenced, he was sure it would come – and it did.

            “You did?” Onew asked, looking up from the mess of post cards he was cleaning on the floor.

            “YES! LOOK! LOOK!” Key squealed. He used the new found freedom in his hand to wave around the big envelope that he held.

            Onew had to grab his arm before he was able to take the papers from him. His big smile split his face in two as he read halfway through. Soon there were two boys cheering loudly in the sparkly pink store. The post card stand was knocked over again from the combination of Onew bumping into it and the gust of wind from the opening of the door.

            JongHyun stood by the entrance looking confused by all the excitement. Nonetheless, after that horrible phone call he had just had he was glad of the lively atmosphere that the two provided.

            “What’s going on?” he asked, picking up a straying postcard.

            “Key got in!” Onew exclaimed, holding out the manila envelope to him.

            JongHyun didn’t need to read to know what it was since he’d gotten the same envelope when he’d been accepted all that time ago.

            “Congrats Key!” he praised.

            For a second he was sure that the younger boy had beamed at his words, but then his hand settled down on his hip. He had a cocky grin on his face while saying, “I could have done it without you.”

            “Yeah, I’m sure you could have,” JongHyun replied sarcastically. “Cripple.” He gave a light shove to Key as he stepped by him.

            “Hey! I’m not a cripple anymore!” Key shouted. He made a point of pushing JongHyun back with the hand he’d broken. It was a bad move on his part considering his wrist was still sensitive to certain movements. He ended up wincing obviously and clutching his hand to his chest.

            Concerned, JongHyun took his hand to see if it was okay. “Don’t hurt yourself,” he reprimanded. His fingers lingered around Key’s for a moment. He squeezed them lightly, the touch barely lasting a second to him. To Key, though, it was like the whole world stopped moving for a second and everything slowed down. When he felt their hands separate it was like a massive hit to the heart - the tsunami invading his country.

            He had to turn away to hide the stupid look on his face. He was sure JongHyun hadn’t caught him, but he saw Onew giving him a knowing look.

            Great…

            “Enough fooling around,” Key said. “Get back to work!” He stalked off down an aisle, not even knowing what he was going to do down there. He was saved from having to think that far when JongHyun spoke up.