A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) TWENTY-EIGHT

By the time JongHyun had finished all his errands the sun had disappeared behind the tall buildings of the city. He carried a bag with boxes of chicken in them as a thank-you gift for Onew (apparently he loved chicken).

            JongHyun couldn't remember the last time he’d felt so carefree and happy. Everything that had been crushing down on his shoulders was lifted and blown away with the wind. Well, everything except that minor issue with his family. But no even that could dampen his mood at the moment.

            There had been a time when JongHyun had hated seeing that pink and white sign suspended above those massive windows. Now, though, as he approached the pale coloured building there was only anticipation running through his body. He glanced up at the windows above the store, loving that he could call the rooms beyond it his new home.

            The store was dark save for one light above the checkout counter. It was somewhat eerie, but JongHyun brushed it off and headed for the stairs leading up to the apartment. The lights were all on up here at least. The sudden brightness temporarily blinded JongHyun. Thankfully, Onew met him halfway and helped him out so he wouldn’t run into the feng shui furniture.

            “I was beginning to think you’d run away,” Onew joked, relieving his dongsaeng of the bags he held.

            “Sorry, TaeMin’s sick again and EunJi noona was getting all emotional and I wanted to buy you chicken,” JongHyun explained.

            “It’s fine. TaeMin’s sick again?”

            “Yeah, he got too hot while taking a walk with MinHo.”

            “MinHo?”

            “His… Boyfriend, I think? I’m not sure; I’ll have to ask.”

            “TaeMin’s gay?”

            “I would appear that way, yes.”

            “Huh.”

            The conversation fell flat as they pulled out the items they would need for their late meal. They set out plates and glasses (who needed utensils when you were eating chicken?) before finally laying out the poultry.

            They started off by eating quietly. Or it was more like JongHyun worked on the few pieces he’d managed to nab and Onew devoured the rest in a few dinosaur sized bites. Who knew he liked chicken so much? And who knew that his jaw became elastics when inhaling the meat?

            “When do you start school?” Onew asked, once they’d finished their meal.

            “In about a week,” JongHyun answered. He gathered up their dirty dishes to bring to the sink. Onew came up behind him, prepared to dry the plates and cups after JongHyun washed them.