A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) TWENTY-NINE

A few months into the school year, JongHyun received a call. He had been in the middle of working on an assignment, intently chewing on the end of his pen when the phone rang. Considering he was working hard he let Onew pick it up. Seconds later a knock came to the door to announce that the phone was for him.

            Tucking it in the crook between his ear and shoulder, JongHyun said, “Hello?”

            “JongHyun hyung?” TaeMin’s tiny voice whispered into the phone.

            “TaeMin?”

            “Hi…”

            “What are you doing calling at this hour?” He glanced at the digital clock flashing ten fifteen at him in its big red letters. Usually TaeMin was in bed at this time…

            “I just wanted to talk to someone…” TaeMin sighed.

            “Is anything wrong?”

            “Not really…”

            “Is it MinHo?”

            “No, he’s been really great… It’s me…”

            “What is it TaeMin? You’re worrying me…”

            “Hyung, you know how my health sucks right?”

            “Yeah…”

            “It’s getting worse… I had to stop taking dance classes because even working out like that is too much for me… And today, I had another episode… In the middle of class, too! It was so embarrassing, hyung!”

            “You shouldn’t be embarrassed, TaeMin. Tell me what happened.”

            TaeMin launched into a long story about the horrors of his week. He started with explaining about the horrible teachers he’d received for his courses and finished off with the air conditioning breaking in the school and him going into one of his episodes.

            “I hate this,” was the last thing he uttered.

            A surge of pity rose in JongHyun’s chest. For years TaeMin had had to live with this illness… He wished there was something he could do to stop it, but not even the doctors had a cure. All TaeMin could do was stay cautious as his body slowly attacked him.

            “Are you feeling any better now, though?” JongHyun asked, feeling stupid for not being able to offer more consoling words than those ones.

            “I stopped throwing up if that’s what you mean…” TaeMin grumbled. A sigh ensued his complaint shortly afterwards. “I’m scared, hyung…”