A Sparkly Encounter (A JongKey Fanfic) FORTY-EIGHT

Nerves were causing JongHyun to fumble with the buttons on his shirt. They’d also made him cut himself while shaving and drop tooth paste onto his first shirt.

            “Yah, come here,” Key ordered. He took over doing the buttons on his shirt, making sure each one was perfect. Considering this was a huge stepping stone for JongHyun he wanted to make sure everything went by smoothly.

            “Can’t you come with me?” JongHyun asked for about the hundredth time.

            “We’ve already discussed this… One step at a time. Fix things with the family before bringing home the boyfriend,” Key chided gently.

            “I’d be much less nervous if you came with me, though…”

            “You say that now, but I’m sure you’d feel differently if I was actually there.”

            “I know you’re right, yet I don’t want to believe you…”

            Key couldn’t help but smile at the cuteness of JongHyun. Somehow, in the hours that had passed since his bread down he’d managed to get himself somewhat together. He was just letting his nerves get the best of him.

            JongHyun fidgeted with the ends of his sleeve as he paced around trying to figure out what else to do.

            “Did you brush your teeth?” Key asked, in hopes that it would help him somehow.

            JongHyun nodded.

            “Deodorant?”

            Another nod.  

            “Did you pick out your shoes?”

            One more nod.

            “Then you’re ready, hyung.”

            JongHyun qui his pacing to stare at Key. Those were the very words he did not want to hear. Checking the time he saw that there was ten minutes until his mother was due to arrive. Knowing her she would show up at exactly seven, too.

            His thoughts were interrupted when Key hooked his fingers through his own.

            “It’ll be okay,” he promised.

            “How can you be sure?” JongHyun asked.

            “Are you doubting the almighty Key?”

            The corner of JongHyun’s mouth twitched upwards. He loved it when Key was all full of himself. Seeing him all overly confident instilled JongHyun with the boost he needed for himself.

            This was it, he thought. It was time for him to face the demons of his past.

~

            If the ride to the hospital had been awkward than JongHyun wasn’t sure what this was. Awkward on steroids maybe. Either way, it was very strange. Tension was definitely riding in the back seat and mocking the two Kim’s.

            As JongHyun had expected, they were going to a fancy restaurant. It wasn’t as lavish as some of the ones he’d been to before but it definitely beat the instant noodles and stale bread he’d been living on.