The Cove

"Hey," I said waving at Gus as I walked up to the elm tree. He stood leaning there against the trunk with a worn, sun bleached, red backpack hanging off one of his shoulders.

"Hey, Rain." He said smiling at me with a crooked smile and started walking forwards to meet me halfway.

"So what are we doing?" I asked him as he fell into stride next to me and we walked out of the school grounds.

"I thought I'd show you around a bit." He said nudging my side with his elbow.

"Sure, sounds fun." I said excitedly. He looked at me and smiled with a charming, goofy grin. I couldn't see how this boy didn't have any friends, he was gorgeous, completely stunning and was kind too. I never heard a single rude comment or judgmental thing come out of his mouth. 

We walked down a busy sidewalk and headed towards the pier that my mum and I passed by on our way into town the first day. We walked up to the beach where there were hundreds of people sun tanning, swimming, playing beach volleyball and children making sand castles. It was so beautiful, the sun was shining high overhead and the water was crystal blue. The waves gently pushed onto the beach in a relaxing lull and I could hear seagulls cawing in the distance. The beach brought back memories of my old home, but here instead of a quiet, rocky beach there was a loud and busy sandy beach with shops lining the outside rim of the sand, bars were full of young people laughing and talking and there were teens excitedly jumping off of the tall wooden pier. I looked around in awe at the new sight, my jaw slightly open.

"Yah, It's a pretty nice view isn't it?" I heard Gus say from beside me. I nodded, speechless. He laughed and I felt one of his hands brush against one of my own. I gulped as the subtle touch sent sparks running up my skin. In a split second his thin, artist fingers gently grabbed onto my wrist and he pulled me out of my stupor. My breath hitched in my chest, and I felt butterflies enter my stomach, starting to race in my chest like a wind storm. I looked over at Gus and he was staring straight forwards, walking while tugging me along with him; we were hand in hand. 

"Come on Rain, I'm going to show you something pretty cool. But you gotta promise not to show anyone else okay?" He said over the loud buzz of the beach. I felt his gaze on me and I could feel the red-hot blush creeping onto my olive face again. Good thing I have tan skin or this would have been a lot more awkward.

"Alright."I said with enthusiasm, smiling at him with anxious eyes. Why was I feeling so nervous right now, he's just my friend. He obviously wouldn't like me like that, I just have to calm down, he's just a normal guy showing me around in a new town. I told myself that but for some reason, I didn't really believe it. These thoughts repeated on over-drive as I walked next to Gus in the sand.

He guided me past all the shops and into a little forest edge... if you could even call it that. It was a large patch of palm trees and birch trees covered with bushes and vines creating a wall of green, ending the busy part of the beach. He led me inside the mini forest and through the collection of trees until we came to a clearing and what looked like a private beach.

I looked over at the boy that was still holding my wrist causing my stomach to flip and flutter like I was a freaking fourteen year old girl meeting Zac Efron. Jesus, I'm such a dork. He smiled and let go of me (which funnily enough didn't help the butterflies go away).

"Voila!" He said holding out his hands facing the peaceful, little cove. It was so beautiful. It was a small, half circle of a beach probably only 12 feet wide where the water touched the soft, almost white sand. The trees hung overhead to grant us shade and the small waves lapped at the edge of the shore in soothing motions. The water was still crystal clear even though it was engulfed in shade. We were completely surrounded by big, tall palm trees which made the little beach completely private from the outside world. I loved it. It reminded me of a place in one of my books, completely serene and blissful.