Something Fancy

"Rain!" My mother yelled at me from the living room, "Get the door!" My chest skipped a beat as I flew off my bed and down the small hallway towards the door. I was dressed in a pair of black skinnies, and a dark blue button down which was fastened loosely with a black tie. Earlier at lunch Gus told me to dress up, that he had planned something fancy, which was quite unlike him, but I was utterly over-excited about our date tonight. I opened up the front door and standing in front of me was a beautiful boy in tight black skinny jeans that hugged his thin legs perfectly, and a white dress shirt with the top buttons undone (which by the way, was making me go crazy!) His long, silky hair was done up in a loose bun at the back of his head letting a few loose ends at the front frame his thin, pale face. He was, by all means the most attractive person I had ever laid eyes on. He smiled at me and from behind his back he brought out a small bouquet of yellow and white flowers tied together with a few strands of yarn. He held out the flowers for me to take and I motioned for him to follow me into the apartment. My mum waved at us from the living room as I grabbed a vase from the cabinet and filled it with water.

"Hello Gus." My mother said across the room.

"Hello Ms. Peters." He said, slightly blushing when he noticed my mother staring at us. She saw him dressed up and smiled in my direction as I set the flowers on the table.

"So, when will you have him home?" She said winking at me, Gus saw and blushed even further.

"Around midnight if that's alright with you?" He said shyly looking her in the eyes. He was so cute when he was nervous! Jesus, I was acting like such a girl again! I smiled as I watched Gus assure my mother that I would be home safely as he stumbled awkwardly with his words while my mother tried to keep a straight face. It was obvious that she was trying not to laugh at his shy nerves. I walked over to my mum, interrupted her with a hug and told her that we should get going, saving Gus from any more stuttering conversation. He looked over at me with grateful eyes as I led him out the door and we started our date.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked him excitedly, still holding back a laugh from his shyness earlier.

"This." He said in his husky voice as he gently took hold of my tan hand in his extremely pale one. The contrast between us was very noticeable, his long, thin, pale, artist hand holding my large, dark, strong one. The butterflies in my stomach were starting to dance as he gave me a goofy little grin and pulled me forwards heading outside the building. We walked down towards the beaches hand in hand, we were one of the many couples that were out tonight. It made me so completely happy. I never thought this would be me, I never thought this would be us. He guided me down towards one of the expensive beach-front restaurants and told the waitress at the front that he had a reservation for two under August Bloom. I looked at him, it was weird that I never knew his last name, it was a gorgeous name, one that I would expect someone so utterly beautiful to have. I smiled as I squeezed his hand in mine excitedly.

"How d'you like the place?" He asked quietly, leaning in closer to me as we waited in the lobby for our table to be ready.

I scoffed, "This place is amazing! I feel like a king would dine somewhere like this, how did you afford it!?" I said as I soaked in the decor of the restaurant. It was very modern, had huge, crystal chandeliers hanging from the tall ceilings and large paintings covering the black-bricked walls.

"Well, I didn't." He said and looked at me with a cute smile on his face. I was confused, how could he not have paid for this? I didn't understand until he tapped my shoulder and pointed towards one of the massive paintings on the wall. It was almost Identical to the oil painting he made for me. The only difference was that there were two people in this one... me and Gus. Our faces so delicately detailed with pinks, greens and oranges and in the painting it was our faces looking at each other from the side view, and in the background was the unmistakable foliage of the elm tree. It was stunning and as I stared at the art piece a waitress in black came up to us and seated us at the table underneath the huge painting.