Second Chances

My mother and Amber sat down in chairs beside the bed after they walked into the pale, dimly lit hospital room. Gus still held onto me tightly, but I could tell that he was a little more calm then he was before. Amber started to talk about how sorry she was for placing him in the abusive home and how if she had known she would have placed him somewhere else. Gus was silent the whole time, probably cursing her every word. I knew the reason he didn't say anything was because he truly believed that they wouldn't have done anything and if they had he would have had to move, pulling him away from me and his beloved art room, the only things that he cared about. Amber kept saying how she would make sure to place him in a home that was guaranteed to be safe and that she would hold an interview for them that my mother could be in, to make sure that Gus was going to be alright. I was a little surprised at that, my mother was going to be holding interviews with my boyfriend's social worker to make sure that he was going into a safe home? I felt so much love towards my mother, so much love, respect and thankfulness for her kindness towards the boy I loved. I looked over at her and she had a smile on her face, she nodded towards me as if to say that it was her pleasure.

"And Gus, I really want you to know that we will do everything in our power to help you, okay?" Amber told him with sincerity in her eyes.

"Okay, thanks." Gus said mostly towards my mother. "When are the interviews?" He asked.

"Well, I've only got one set up for tomorrow evening so far, but if that doesn't go well then I have a few other foster parents that I could call." Amber said matter of factly.

"Okay." Gus said a little nervously, "I age out in a few weeks."

"I'm aware, and so is the couple I will be interviewing." Amber told us.

"Do they live far?"

"Not too far, and they are willing to drive you to school because it is a bit of a walk. Nice of them isn't is?" she said with a smile.

"I guess. What about Rain?"

"What about him?" Amber asked a little confused.

"Will I be able to visit him?" Gus said in a gruff voice.

"Yes, I'm sure that won't be an issue."

"Are they okay... like you know... about Rain and I?" Gus asked nervously. Amber smiled at that and gave out a small chuckle.

"I'm sure it won't be a problem at all." She said.

"How do you know?"

"Well..." Amber started, "The two women that are interested in fostering you are married. So I'm positive you won't have an issue about your relationship with Rain while under their care."

I felt Gus let out a huge sigh from behind me, he was relieved. I felt a smile creep up onto my face and I turned around to look at his face.

"You are going to be fine." I said to him, smiles on both of our faces.

"I know." He said as he leaned in and kissed my forehead lovingly.

The next morning I woke up well rested. I could finally relax, Gus was going to be okay, I was sure that the couple that was going to be interviewed today was going to be perfect for Gus. They were a lesbian couple, perfect for Gus and I, we wouldn't have to be worried about any prejudices with foster parents like them. Gus and I could be ourselves and not have to worry. This could actually be an amazing thing. I was so excited, and I really hoped it worked out. I started to get dressed and put on a sweatshirt and a pair of my signature skinny jeans. I walked out to the kitchen and found my mother already up and cooking some breakfast.