One Step At A Time

I awoke to a warm soft feeling wrapped around my body, like a comforting blanket. I opened my eyes to look into my dark room. The lights were off except for a small reading lamp in the far left corner and my blinds were closed shut so I couldn't see outside. I gently turned around trying not to disturb the sweet boy that had fallen asleep with his limbs curled around me lovingly. His face wore a soft expression and he had a tiny smile, his lips slightly curled up at the edges. His breaths came out husky but slow and steady, soothing me as I snuggled into his warm body. I felt his skin on mine as I realized that we were in our boxers... well at least I was. Jesus! My face blushed as I noticed that Gus was stark naked underneath the covers of my bed... and the only thing between him from me was my pair of Kermit the frog boxers. I tried to catch my breath as I failed to shift my focus on something other than the fact that Gus's naked body was curled around me as he kept sleeping peacefully. Suddenly I started to remember what had happened hours ago.

I arrived at the hospital with my mother to make sure Gus was ready to leave. When we walked into the lobby we saw the fat man with the sweat stained tank top at the counter. He was yelling at the nurse as she was trying to desperately plead with him to quiet down because he was disrupting the other people in the waiting room. This didn't go over very well with the man because he grabbed a handful of the papers, that I was assuming he had to fill out, and threw them on the floor angrily.

"No! I won't fucking be quiet!" He bellowed at the poor nurse as she cowered from behind the desk. "I already filled out the forms and I want to bring that little shit home so I can leave this disgusting place!" He yelled. I saw out of the corner of my eyes two security guards eyeing the situation but staying at a distance until something went too far. But the poor nurse at the counter was probably hoping that they would intervene sooner rather than later. I looked over at my mum, she had a sad expression on her face as she turned to look me in the eyes.

"Do you think I could go up and say something?" She asked me in a whisper.

"What would you even say mom?" I said to her with no clue of how to help.

"I'm not sure, Rain. Maybe I should ask if we could take him for a while?" She proposed the idea, it's not like I had already thought about that, but I just never thought she'd go for it, even if that the man would even think about listening to one of us. To him we were just a couple of complete strangers, I couldn't see how he would even let us talk to him without screaming at us to get away.

"Mom, he doesn't even know who we are, how would he let be willing to let Gus stay with us?" I said in a defeated tone.

"You never know, Rain. He might let Gus stay overnight, then at least Gus can get away from this man for one night; at least he could feel safe." She said sympathetically, putting a hand on my shoulder. "I should at least give it a try, don't you think?" She asked me with a loving expression. 

"Are you really willing to do this for me?" I asked her so completely grateful my eyes were starting to water.

"Yes Rain, he means so much to you. What kind of mother would I be If I didn't let my son's boyfriend stay in a safe, loving home with people that care about him when the alternative was the polar opposite? I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt if I didn't at least try." She said with a small smile as she brought me into a warm embrace.

"Thank you Mom." I said through a voice crack. She laughed quietly and let go of the hug. She gave me a reassuring smile and then walked up towards the man that was standing at the desk.

"Hello?" She said as she approached the fat-bellied, sweat-smelling man with a bad temper. "Hi, I'm Rain's mum, he's a friend of August's." She said extending her hand out for the filthy man to shake. He eyed her suspiciously but shook her hand anyways.