I've Noticed

"Hey? Can I wear this?" I heard a husky voice say from behind the couch. I turned my head away from the television and saw that Gus had raided my closet. He stood with his hands held relaxed behind his back and his long, wispy hair pulled back in a loose bun. He was wearing a pair of my black skinny jeans which were a little big on him but still showed his thin legs off in a very flattering way, and an old, light gray button up t-shirt which he had rolled up the sleeves a bit to show off his toned arms. I could feel my jaw drop slightly at the handsome boy in front of me and I got up off the couch to walk over to him. He smiled at me with his crooked little smile and his bright, puppy-like eyes.

"I'll take that as a yes, from you." He said with a slight chuckle. His feet rocked back and forth in his black Converse as I walked closer towards him, mouth still parted in awe at his beauty. When I stood looking at Gus's pale face I noticed bags under his eyes; he looked tired. I brought both of my hands up and cupped his face, grazing the tips of my thumbs over his cheekbones and over the dark bags circling his hazel eyes.

"You look very handsome." I said slowly, in a whisper as I leaned closer towards him.

"Humm..." He breathed out as he closed his eyes, granting me a small smile over his perfect lips.

"Are you okay, Gus?" I said as I gently pressed my forehead against his, "You look exhausted."

"I'm fine." He huskily whispered, the small smile not fading from his restful face, "It's just been hard." He told me as he moved his face closer to mine, our noses now touching, lips not even an inch apart.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked quietly, whispering into his breath. He let out a small chuckle and finally pressed his full lips onto mine in a sweet gesture, completely taking my mind away from the previous conversation. It was a small kiss, just a brush of the lips but the tenderness of it felt like he was conveying all his thoughts to me. He shared his emotions and I could feel the deep hurt within him as his lips moved slowly across mine. Gus's hands came up from his sides and gently brushed the nape of my neck, playing with the small, black tendrils of my curly hair. I loved the feel of his hands in my hair, it was silly, but it felt really comforting; familiar.

Once Gus broke away from our kiss, he ushered me into my room so I could go get ready for our date. I wasn't really sure what he had planned so after my shower, I dressed normally in black skinnies, a black v-neck and a dark jean jacket.

Once out of my room I headed down the hall to where Gus was waiting for me with a big goofy smile on his lips.

"Ready to go?" He asked excitedly as he bounced forwards on his feet, hiking a full backpack up onto his shoulders.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I said trying not to laugh at this sweet boy. He held the door open like a gentleman and we walked out of the building hand in hand; my stomach filled with raging butterflies as I noticed the way we seemed to fit so perfectly together.

We walked down the main street where quirky buildings lined the streets and people of all different race, religion, gender and sexuality walked among one another normally; comfortably. As Gus and I walked holding hands, talking and smiling, I didn't even notice one person stare at us, I didn't hear and nasty remarks or comments, we were just another teenage couple walking down main street towards the beach. And I really liked that, it made me feel like I wasn't so alone as I might have thought.

"...Yeah, so I never really liked popcorn until that day." Gus said telling me an old story about his childhood.

"You didn't like popcorn? You're such a weirdo!" I said laughing as we swung our intertwined hands between each other happily.

"Yeah? Well look at you mister I don't eat pickles! You are the real weirdo here! Who doesn't like pickles? At least I have a reason for my popcorn-hating childhood." Gus said laughing with a bright smile on his angelic face; hair whipping in the breeze.