Nightmare

I woke up the next morning with a pit in my stomach and cold beads of sweat dripping down my body. My heart was beating fast and I felt like I had just had a heart attack. I had a nightmare about Matt and the other boys on the football team beating Gus up while holding me down and making me watch as they pounded him with their strong limbs. Dark purple bruises and red gashes lay scattered along his pale skin and as I cried out for them to stop, nothing would come out of my mouth, no noise, no sound. The football team laughed as they continued to pummel Gus's weakening body as he begged them to stop through sobs filled with heart break, sorrow and defeat. Blood filled his mouth and soon his cries became warbled and sounded like he was underwater. As the boys kept beating him, everything went silent and the scene faded out into nothing as I woke up gasping for air.

I got out of bed and walked into my bathroom splashing cold water on my face to help me pull out of the horror of my dream.

"It was just a dream, just a dream." I repeated to myself as I looked up into the mirror. I noticed that my short hair was ruffled, there were bags under my dark eyes and my skin looked splotchy as If I had been crying in my sleep. After I had my shower and got dressed, I went into the kitchen and walked into my mother eating breakfast at the table.

She smiled over at me and said good morning as I walked over, grabbing some coffee and some toast and sat down next to her.

"Hey Hun." She said after she took a drink from her mug.

"Hey mum."

"How was your sleep?" She said casually. I paused before I continued raising suspicion in my mother's eyes.

"Fine, yours?"

"Humm. Good, dreamed about vacuuming the living room again." She said with a chuckle looking over at me with a knowing, worried gaze.

"Again?" I said trying to avoid her asking about me.

"Hmm." She said in response taking another sip from her coffee mug. "You look a little pale today, you sure you slept okay?" She asked as I took a bite of my toast. I almost choked on my breakfast, but I nodded trying to reassure her that I was fine.

"Alright Honey, but if you want to talk about it I'm here." She said with motherly worry. I smiled, It was just a dream, so I didn't have to be worried, right?

As I left for school my mother kissed my cheek and wished me a good day. I walked down the stairs to the door of the building and out into the sunny streets on my way to school. The whole way there my dream and the way I felt when I woke up haunted me until I walked up to the big elm tree and saw my Gus sitting under in the shade, sketching away.

"Hey you." I said making Gus know I was there. He tore his gaze away from his art and smiled up at me with his adorable, quirky, goofy, little smile. I smiled back at him and sat down, kicking my feet out and leaning against the tree trunk, my shoulder touching Gus's.

"Hey Gorgeous."

"Gorgeous?"

"Yah." He said with a little smirk as he looked back down at his sketch book and started drawing.

"That's a new word in the Gus dictionary." I noted as I gazed fondly over at my beautiful, talented boyfriend.

"Is it?"

"Uh Huh." I hummed back at him.

"Well, maybe it is just another word to help me try and describe how I feel about you." He said quietly, a small blush seeping up onto his face from the flirtatious words that escaped his mouth. I chuckled at how cute he could be when he didn't try to be seductive or charming; when he was just... Gus.