White

My mother and I walked down the pale halls of the hospital once again. We were looking for Gus's room number and as we walked in silence, I knew my mother was thinking the same thing I was. We were here, in the hospital, visiting Gus again. Again. How many times had he been in this hospital due to abusive foster homes? How many times has he been in any hospital due to abusive foster homes? He didn't deserve it, any of it. I was just glad that his birthday was coming up in three weeks. Then we could move in together, and this would all be over.

We found Gus's room and it was cracked open a little bit. I poked my head inside and saw Gus lying in a bed in the corner of the white room. There was nobody else there, not even another patient. There were two chairs stacked on the side of the room but nothing else; It was so empty.

I walked into the room, my mother said she would be outside if we needed anything, so I was by myself. I came up to Gus's bed quietly while he lay sleeping. I was glad that he was getting some rest, I knew he really needed some. I looked at the purple marks that scattered his pale skin, there were bandages wrapped around his hands and medical tape on his face. A small pang of guilt made its way into my heart as I looked at him, weak and fragile on the hospital bed. I turned away from him so I could get some stuff out of the bag that I brought. I took out the same soft, fleece blanket and carefully put it on top of his sleeping form, a small smile trying to play out on my lips as I remembered the last time he was here and we were fooling around in the hospital bed under this exact blanket. Those thoughts made me think that he would be okay, that he wouldn't have to deal with the worry of going back to Frank. But what would his new foster family be like? Would they be just as bad or would they actually take care of him like he really needed? I slowly kicked off my shoes and laid down next to him on his bed, carefully pulling myself under the blanket next to Gus's willowy frame. I closed my eyes and felt the familiar, comforting warmth of Gus's body next to mine and felt my mind slip away into a peaceful ease.

"Rain?" I heard a husky voice say as I peeled my eyes open in the light, stark white hospital room. I saw Gus's beaten face next to mine, it looked as tired as I felt.

"Hey." I said in a groggy voice.

"I didn't know you'd be here, they told me I wasn't allowed visitors for a while." He said in awe. I smiled at that and rested my head back down on his pillow next to him.

"My mum got a call from your social worker saying I was allowed to come today." I told him with a small smile on my face. He smiled back at me and snuggled his body closer to mine so our faces were almost touching and out legs were tangled together under the sheets. Gus moved his arms so they were lying around my hips comfortably which made the smile grow on both of our faces.

"I'm really happy you're here." He whispered to me, a soft tone to his words.

"Me too." I said back as I leaned in to kiss him on his forehead where there were less bruises.

"You don't have to walk on egg shells around me you know." He said and I looked at him a little confused. "I'm going to be okay, honestly Rain. And I'm on medication so if you kiss me or hold me I won't hurt, it would just be... really nice." He said with a little shy smile. That made me smile again, knowing that he was acting a little more like himself already.

"Okay." I said as I leaned in and kissed him on his lips softly. I felt the bandage that was over the cut on his bottom lip and for a split second I didn't want to kiss him, afraid that I would hurt him. But I felt Gus pull me closer and deeper into the kiss and all my insecurities blew away in an instant as his tongue moved its way into my mouth, making a small moan escape from my mouth. I felt Gus's lips tun upwards into a smile at that and his hands moved their way up to caress my cheeks with his thumbs. I loved the way he felt on my skin, I loved the way we moved together, and I loved the way he could make me feel like I was myself again. I had missed him, more than anything even though the whole fiasco had only happened within the past twenty-four hours.