Hell Hole

I waited at the elm tree in the morning.

The first bell rang.

Kids started to walk away from their groups of friends and latecomers hurriedly walked into the school.

I waited under the elm tree.

The warning bell rang and only a few remaining students were outside, hanging back, finishing their conversations.

I waited under the elm tree.

I waited until the last student had hurriedly run into class.

And I waited until the end of first block.

He never came.

I just sat there under the elm, frozen, all hope lost that Gus was coming to school today, all hope lost that he was alright and safe. My hands shook as I dug around in my backpack for my phone. When I found it at the bottom, I quickly dialed my mum's number.

"Hello?"

"Mum..." I said with a crackling voice, "He's not here." I tried to hold in all the tears that were threatening to spill, My stomach felt like acid and the worrying pit grew deeper and deeper with every passing second.

"I'm so sorry Rain." My mother said in a worried tone, "Do you want me to pick you up?" She asked me quietly.

"Please."

"Alright honey, I'll be there in twenty minutes, It will take me a little bit to get off of work today. But wait out front and sign out at the office." Her voice was sturdy but hinted with sympathy.

"Okay." I breathed out as a tear slipped out onto my cheek. I rubbed it off and hung up on my mother. I wasn't going to sign out, I hadn't even gone inside the school today. My breath was shaking like my hands and I felt like I was as weak and fragile as piece of peanut brittle. My mind wouldn't stray away from Gus, what had happened after I let him go inside? What was happening right now to him? Did he have bruises littering his beautiful face? Did he have long gashes cut into the sides of his ribs and arms? Was he crying? Was he shaking? Was he even alive?

Stop.

I had to stop thinking like this, my mind was going insane, crazy... I wouldn't be able to help in any way if I kept this up. I started to breathe in deeply, in, out, in, out. After a few moments of closing my eyes and doing breathing exercises I heard heavy footsteps walk up to me.

I opened my eyes up to one of the football players that had came up to me that fist week I was here. Ever since I started hanging out with Gus they had left me alone, but I guess since Gus wasn't here it was an invitation.

"Rain, right?" The bulky, stereotypical, blond, blue eyed jock asked as he approached the elm tree.

"This isn't a good time." I grumbled as I stuck on a scowl and glared at the boy. He stopped walking forwards and a surprised look crossed his face for a split second.

"Whoa man, I'm not here to cause trouble." He said raising his hands up in surrender.

"Fine, what do you want?" I said still with a gruff tone. I was really not in the mood to have a chat with someone I really didn't care about.

"I was... I was just wondering if you were alright? You seemed pretty... I don't know, upset." He said as he looked down at me sitting cross legged on the grass. His huge arms were crossed over his muscular chest and his lips were curled inwards in a frown.

"I'm fine. Now go away." I said rudely as I picked up my phone and started scrolling so I looked busy. Why was this guy even here? The only time I ever paid attention to him was when him and his buddies ganged up on me a few months ago.