Fleece Blanket

The next day I visited Gus in the hospital and brought him one of my soft, fluffy, fleece blankets from my bed because I knew he hated the thin sheets that smelled of bleach (even though he wouldn't admit it himself). I knocked on the stark white door of his room and heard a voice call to come in. I opened it and walked into the room that was buzzing with people. There were about 17 people crammed into the small room all with green eyes and various shades of ginger-orange hair. I smiled as I squeezed past the loud crowd that was gathered by the small boy's bed talking and laughing together happily. I moved the curtain that was pulled shut on Gus's side and peaked in. I saw Gus fast asleep, snoring lightly with the romance novel that I packed for him haphazardly sprawled on his bare chest. His thin, beautiful face was scrunched in a slightly pained expression and his mouth was open a little bit and I noticed a small drool dot on his hospital pillow. I laughed out loud at his cute little sleeping self. How could he sleep through all this noise though? I smiled as I shook out the blanket that I brought him and carefully placed it over his body and up to his chest. I noticed the small mark by his collar bone from yesterday's event and I chuckled to myself. I brought up the chair that was tucked in the corner by the small night stand and brought it up to the bed side. I sat down and picked up the book that had almost fallen off the bed and onto the floor. It was one of my favorites, The midnight sun. A beautiful and epic romance of two adults being torn apart by social classes, race, and religion but still fight to be together. At one point the main character is stabbed in a hate crime against her religion by her lover's older brother and his friends, yet she still manages to rise above all of that and completely and utterly love her partner. It is a beautifully tragic tale, and one of my favorites because it always reminded me how powerful it is to really love someone. It means that you stay in love with that person even through unimaginable terrors and unbearable pain.

Saving the page he was on by folding one of the corners of a page, I went to the front of the book and started to read, getting lost in the wondrous story. I didn't realize how long I had been there by Gus's side reading peacefully until a nurse walked in and asked me to leave as she woke Gus up for his check up. I slipped out just as I caught a glimpse of Gus's smile as he saw me walk out of the curtains. Out of the curtains I was stuck in the sea of red heads as they were all gathered around the kid's bed. I didn't notice I was staring until I heard the kid's voice shout above the chatter at me.

"Hey! Hi you!" He said happily waving with his one good arm at me. I nervously waved back and the sea of gingers all turned to look at me. One of the girls was staring at me with her mouth hung wide. She was as tall as me and willowy-thin, she had long red hair that went just below her waist and she was wearing a black hoodie with red skinny jeans...she was super cute. That thought made a pang of guilt shoot through my brain. But I managed a smile at the group awkwardly as some of them gave greetings and introduced themselves.

"I'm Amanda." The tall girl said as she waved at me.

"Rain." I said nodding, keeping my cool. She was super hot... not just cute, but damn... she was...NO. What the Hell is wrong with me! I mentally reprimanded myself. How could I ogle over a girl when I was completely infatuated with Gus? Was this normal? Wasn't my thing with Gus supposed to... I don't know... make me not like girls anymore? Damn, this is confusing. My head started to swim with these thoughts as the girl walked closer towards me.

"So, what brings you here?" She said in a flirtatious voice.

"Um..." I swallowed the lump in my throat as the twirled a long strand of hair in her fingers. Thin fingers that reminded me of... Gus. Shit! Stop! This felt wrong, I shouldn't think of another person when I want to be with Gus, I can't do this to him... or myself. "I'm here for my boyfriend." I said quietly as I avoided her gaze, worried about her reaction. Why did I even care though? It's not like I knew this girl, jeez!