Because I've Got You

When my mother finally came to get me, her face was red and blotchy. She sat me down before we could go and heaved out a long, emotional sigh.

"You have to be prepared Rain. Gus is in pretty... rough condition. The police came just in time, before... anyways, I need you to brace yourself before you see him, okay?"
I couldn't even think now that I knew he was hurt... badly. I needed to see him. I didn't care if I needed to freaking brace myself, I needed to be there for him! Why wasn't I already with him? Now my emotions were becoming angry with myself as I realized that I had been waiting in the car while I should have been there helping to find Gus and being there for him. I was pathetic, how could I live with myself? All of a sudden I broke away from my mother's grasp and bolted towards the police cars and the rancher that was now surrounded by police tape. What the hell happened here?

I ran until a pair of strong arms grabbed me and pulled me harshly to the side. Before I could take a look a deep voice boomed out at me.

"You can't be here kid. Crime scene." I whipped around and stared at the police officer with terror etched into my expression.

"Where... Where is he?" I said in a wobble looking up at the tall man. 

"Who?" The officer said.

"Gus." I whispered into the stale air.

"You're the boyfriend." He said knowingly to himself then after a split second he nodded and started to lead me to the other side of the house. There was an ambulance tucked around the corner so I hadn't been able to see it from where the truck was parked. 

The doors were open and there was a silhouette slumped on the edge surrounded by several paramedics and officers. There was also another police car and inside it was the ugly shape of Frank sitting in the backseat, his head hanging.

I ran past the police man towards the ambulance where Gus was half sitting, half leaning against the side and a wool blanket was draped over his hunched shoulders. His hair was matted around his face... his face... his face was hard to look at. Bruised was an understatement; his eyes were puffed up and swollen, red and blood was smeared all over him. Gashes were scattered around his face and on the corner of his mouth was a cut that must have been from a knife, his nose bled and was crooked. And on his throat, just under his chin were large red imprints, like big hands had strangled him. It created a wrenching, gut-clenching feeling in my stomach. I was angry, I was sad, I felt my whole being become lost in a wave of emotions.

 I ran the last few steps to him and stood, hovering over Gus. He struggled to look up at me, his whole body sore and broken. His beautiful hazel eyes were bloodshot and tear stained and as he looked me in the eyes a tear fell down his purple, blood-smeared cheek. A breath hitched in my throat and a sob escaped my trembling mouth. 

My Gus. My Gus. What had they done to him?

I dropped to my knees in front of him, my legs had gone weak. I couldn't stand to see him like this, I just couldn't.

"Rain?" A small, raspy voice whispered from above me. I felt two delicate, trembling hands touch my head gently, stroking my hair ever so slowly. I closed my eyes so I wouldn't be tempted to look at his injuries. The pain of seeing him like this was too much to bare. I took a few deep breaths and Gus continued to run his bruised fingers softly through my hair. After a few minutes he spoke again.

"I'm going to be okay, you know." Said his weak, raspy voice. "They're taking Frank away. I'll be safe." He kept stroking my head, soothing me, trying to calm me down. My breathing had started to slow to it's normal pace and I had begun to compose myself. I slowly pulled away from Gus's hands and looked up at him. A tear slipped out as I took in his poor, agony filled frame. I got up off of the ground and made my way to sit next to him on the ambulance's edge. The paramedics that were standing around talking to the policemen and tending to the other kids were giving us our space for the time being. I moved close to Gus and he leaned into me, his head resting on my shoulder and I wrapped my arms gently around his trembling body. 

"How are you so strong?" I whispered into his head as I pressed my face into his hair.

"Because I've got you."

That night they took Gus away to the hospital. After seemingly ripping him from my arms they told me to go home and rest as they picked Gus up and put him onto a stretcher. My mother came over to me and pulled me away. My mind was on Gus the whole ride back, and even when I was trying to sleep that night, all I could see were the gashes, the blood, the tears, the bruises that all lined Gus's skin with a permanent scar.