sEvEn

Zayn's P.O.V.

After a whole lot of convincing myself, I decided to go over to the café and talk to Niall. I knew very well that this opportunity was a one time thing, otherwise I'd never crawl back to him so fast.

A wave of confidence came over me as I casually sat down in the chair in front of him. "Hey, Ni."

An expression of befuddlement grew on his face until he looked up. When he saw that it was indeed me that greeted him, his entire face beamed. "Hi, Zaynie. What brings you here?"

"First of all, don't call me that. Second of all, I just saw you here from the window and I decided to sit with you." I hesitated from speaking anymore, but since Niall didn't even let out a peep, I continued. "Look, I need to talk to you. Honestly speaking, I regretted not cooperating with you once you left, and I was still in regret up until now. I mean, we have such a beautiful friendship. It was bad enough that I left you hanging after five years, but that I also turned you down when you came to me for a second chance. Do you think we could . . . start all over? Pretend like our friendship never ended?"

Niall looked down at his folded hands in front of him and smiled to himself, then immediately sharing his glow with me once he looked up. "Of course we can. That's really all I wanted." We looked at each other for a few moments, but then Niall's gaze went back to his hands, and then back at me. "Well, now that we're starting over, we should get this awkwardness out of the way."

I laughed and nodded in response. "Yeah."

"So, anything exciting happen recently?"

"Um, well, I did release an album, but that was back in March. I have to go to a lot of photograph sessions for magazines, and not to mention perform."

Niall's chin was resting on his fists as he intently watched me talk. "Seems like our Zaynie is quite the successful man, eh?"

"Okay, I'm ignoring what you just called me. Now that you say 'our,' that reminds me of the boys. How are they?"

Niall sighed and looked out the window, as if there was something more interesting than our conversation going on outside. He looked straight into my eyes when he said, "I don't know."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "You don't know? What do you mean you don't know?"

He let out another sigh before looking in my eyes again. "I don't know as in I don't talk to them much. I played that Soccer Aid match with Louis, so I had quite a lot of catching up with him, but Harry and Liam . . ." He sort of dazed out by looking at the window, then at his hands. "We don't really talk much. We'll text each other maybe once a month and ask how we are, but the conversation ends at that. We don't talk like we used to. I'm afraid we . . ." He let out a shaky breath before looking back into my eyes. "We're drifting. Unfortunately, it seems like this hiatus thing is going to be permanent."

I put my hand on one of his and rubbed it as I smiled sympathetically. "Aw, Nialler, don't be so sad. At least you've got me." He looked at me and laughed, shaking his head, and soon, we were both laughing like idiots. "Hey, what do you say to me taking you around town?"

"You know what, Zayn? That sounds great. Really great."