01: complications

NOTE — since the prologue is significant to the whole story, please read it first — if you haven't already — in order to understand the story from this point on. happy reading!

. . .

Halloween night

Halloween night.

Most seniors would have despised the idea of attending the Annual Halloween Dance. Although all students of Northwood were invited, the dance was held specifically for freshman and sophomores. The Parent Teacher Association thought it would be a great way for students to make friends.

The quartet ended up going. Not because they wanted to, but simply because they weren't invited to any other Halloween parties in the neighborhood. And, since half of them failed to remember that Halloween was coming up, they didn't really have anything planned. They kind of depended on eachother, even when it came to plans. Sehun was invited to a college party, but his friends weren't, so he refused politely to attend.

It was a quarter to eight when the boys had arrived, entering through the back door. It was a clear night- no sign of rain- and the full moon shined vividly. The light breeze shook the branches of the trees and the leaves were the usual autumn colors - red, orange, yellow and purple. The sun had already set, and the streetlights were shining as children hurried back to their homes safely after trick-or-treating.

The dance was held in the cafeteria, contrary from last year, when it was held in the gym. The student council had already hung up decorations shortly before the party. A banner of small lanterns illuminated the length of the room. The lights were turned off and replaced with bright red and orange lights. Jack-o-Lanterns sat on every table along with fruit punch, snacks, and souvenirs. Neon stickers of bats, witches and vampires were pasted on the walls.

From the looks of it, most seniors were not present. Can't blame them, Kyungsoo thought.

The boys walked through the crowd of fifteen year olds feeling underdressed. Bon Jovi's You Give Love A Bad Name played in the background as the reckless teens jumped up and down, living in the rush of the moment.

Sehun let out a sigh when they reached the back of the cafeteria. "You know what the great thing about being on the basketball team is? I can come here in my uniform and most people would assume I'm in a costume. Isn't that great?"

"Yeah, totally fool proof. As if every student in this school doesn't know you're in the basketball team. Give me a break." Chanyeol rolled his eyes.

"Still."

"Guys, did we really have to come here?" Suho frowned, taking in his surroundings. His eyes widened when he saw what looked like a fourteen-year-old wearing a quite inappropriate Alice in Wonderland costume.

Kyungsoo laughed, "I think I know why Valerie declined on coming with you here. She didn't even come herself."

"No, shit, Sherlock. I think we're the only seniors here! All of those freeloaders are obviously at a bigger, better Halloween party somewhere in the neighborhood. Y'know, one with drinks, hot girls, a genuinely good party. And honestly, I think even some of the teachers are giving us odd looks," Chanyeol stated under his breath.