09: unwanted

. . .

A shady cumulonimbus began to form over the electric, sapphire horizon; light winds swaying the naked trees back and forth in a poetic manner. There was no sign of the sun, for the clouds were dark and heavy.

The crumbling forecast outdoors raged on. Slowly, almost eerily, Chanyeol awoke, confined, and having that congested feel crawl up his spine. He was alone.

The vacancy of the city was horrifyingly spooky. And, being in an unoccupied subway station underground at three in the morning didn't help, either.

Chanyeol bit his lip, realizing where he was. Why am I alone?

Suddenly, he felt his palms gaining sweatier by the second. The pelting, harsh raindrops could be heard from above. He seriously felt as if he was in a horror movie – he sensed the faint whistles and howling of the air; almost as if he was being watched by some presence — something savage. He was afraid that if he moved just a little bit more – it'd be over.

Why am I here? Where is everyone?

Chanyeol silently cursed the game as he made his way to the cold bench, not even daring to take a step closer to the reception – as if someone brutal was there, waiting. All he could do was sit tight and wait for the train. Except, Chanyeol wasn't a New Yorker. He wasn't aware of all the ungodly hoaxes that had happened late at night in the subways.

How are the trains even running if everyone is dead?

Chanyeol began to shake nervously at the gust of chilly air brought from above by the heavy rainfall. Out of the blue, he heard a voice. And, Chanyeol swore, nothing scared him more than that hair-raising hushed whisper.

"Hey, buddy! Over here!"

Mouth widening, Chanyeol gazed at the sight in front of him. It was a man, seemingly in his mid-forties. His head was sticking out from the train tracks. Chanyeol's heart stopped when the man flashed him a creepy smile, an array of broken, yellow teeth.

Of course, Chanyeol didn't respond to the homeless dweller. He just breathed in and looked away. But, he almost felt as if he was forced to watch.

Then, Chanyeol heard some rough sounds from the man's clenched teeth. He wasn't in sight, however, his raspy, throaty voice echoed in the infested tunnels.

The man suddenly showed up again, this time with another man. This man was even creepier than the previous. His face seemed almost dismantled and disordered, assumingly dry blood covered his cheeks. The two proposed an argument, exclaiming in some language that Chanyeol couldn't interpret.

Chanyeol didn't think it could go any farther. He was wrong.

The men walked deeper into the tunnel, unseen. About forty seconds later, the disheveled man walked out. Chanyeol didn't want to look.