18: great antiquity

[a brief recap: so, kai and kyungsoo had made a deal in the last chapter. if kyungsoo could manage to beat kai with a weapon of his choice, he'd win the game and get out. kyungsoo is currently contemplating which weapon to choose. happy reading!]

 happy reading!]

. . .

LEVEL THREE: COUNTDOWN

"I'd hurry if I were you," Kai evoked Kyungsoo, "That clock's not gonna wait for anyone. Not me, and certainly not you."

Weapons. Weapons. What weapon was he supposed to choose? Kyungsoo with all his vigor avoided eye contact with Kai. Suddenly, a thought struck him like a lightning bolt. "That's it." He whispered to himself.

Amid the destructive tendencies of the moment, he stood his guard.

Kyungsoo turned, facing the elder. "I choose my friends."

Kai only stared at him with facile amusement before chuckling, "You know, you can't be the best if they help you." He took a couple of steps closer.

"I don't care about being the best," He replied quite frankly, "I just want to beat you."

"Fair enough." He nodded.

Kyungsoo barely had time to decipher his response when a white, luminous light intruded his eyeballs.

A cough. "Holy fuck, what was that?"

With widened eyes, Kyungsoo turned around and was greeted with the unannounced appearance of his best friends. All four of them, and they weren't broken! Even Suho looked well; a great disparity than earlier.

"Oh my God," Chanyeol choked, "It's Kyungsoo. Holy shit! I can't tell you how- wait... where's Baekhyun and Yixing?"

Kyungsoo was still in shock. "This is really happening..." He took Sehun, who was still dazed, into a bone-crushing hug.

Sehun stood, clearly awe-stricken by the new surroundings. "Where are we?"

Kyungsoo explained everything. The truth, the betrayal, as well as the deal he had agreed to with Kai. "Guys, listen, we're all going to fight him and get out of this place. But we've got to work together. I really don't know what he's got planned, but knowing him, it won't be easy."

"Wow, so you chose us as your weapon? Way to think ahead!" Chanyeol grinned, followed by a smack on his arm by Suho.

"Shut up Chanyeol, there's no time for this. Now, let's just – "

"The final match has begun. Report to your respective positions." A computerized voice stated, and the boys glanced at each other for a moment before hastily buzzing around, trying to find their names on the ground which held four pairs of footprints for each of them.