14: the traveller

. . .

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"I could say the same to you," Baekhyun glared, "To be all honest, I didn't think you'd get this far. I thought the zombies would've gotten to you, for sure."

"Well, you thought wrong, dude," Chanyeol spoke, rolling his eyes. "You're really good at underestimating people, you know that? Just because we're younger than you doesn't give you a reason to make us feel like we're not good enough."

Baekhyun just smiled in response.

"I think I need to be informed as to why you're even here. I thought Richard murdered your ass."

"Ouch." He smirked.

"Could you go away? I have enough problems on my hands right now and now you decide to show up? Great." Chanyeol looked up, momentarily glancing at Baekhyun's collar. His number was four.

"I think you may want to control your tongue there, Chanyeol," Baekhyun said, "I'm more helpful than you think I am. I mean, I think we both know that you guys never would have gotten past the first damn level if it hadn't been for me."

"Please, Suho did all the work. And, gosh, what do you want? A medal expressing my eternal gratefulness towards you?"

Baekhyun suddenly lowered his tone, "Do you want to know why I'm here, Chanyeol?"

"I don't think it'd hurt to know at this point, Baekhyun." Chanyeol murmured, turning his back from him.

Baekhyun took in a sharp breath before speaking, "Come on." He motioned towards the end of the corridor.

"Where are we going?" Chanyeol questioned as he found himself following the older through the dim, flashing red-blue lights.

"To meet a friend of mine," Baekhyun replied, turning his head slightly as he shot Chanyeol a small smile. "I think you'll like him."

. . .

"Chen?"

Chen stood there with astonished eyes. Was he dreaming? Seeing things? He couldn't be. It all felt too real. But it also felt too good to be true.

Chen felt a shiver travel down his spine, "Kai?" He whispered, walking slowly towards him.

Kai's mouth was wide open as he walked closer to Chen as well. He let out a shaky breath as he embraced him into his arms.

Kyungsoo and Suho stiffened uncomfortably, glancing at each other. Kyungsoo let out a cough, looking down.

After several seconds of warm hugging, Kai placed his hands on Chen's shoulders. "H-How are you still here? I thought I had lost you—"