Chapter Nineteen - Goldy

"Arabella!"
The young woman's head snapped up at the shouting of her name. She was busy locking up Cristiano's rental car.
She saw Mesut waving like a mad man, standing on top of the small set of staira that led you in the hotel.

Mesut would never admit that he had been standing there for at least half an hour, waiting for his long-lost best friend to come. He would also never admit that when he saw Arabella arrive at 11 AM, he had texted Manuel that she had said she would be there at 1 PM.

'Ara just texted she would be here around one'
Manuel, who was enjoying the sun on his balcony, had seen Arabella pull up in the parking lot when Mesut had texted him. He shook his head with a small smile. That little shit, he thought. However, Manuel wasn't upset. He knew Mesut had missed his friend, he had told him so whilst training yesterday, so Manuel just texted back saying it was cool.

When Arabella reached Mesut he engulfed her in a giant hug. Arabella smiled into his shoulder, she had missed Mesut greatly. Even though she had Cristiano and -up until the last month- Dennis, she had missed him. Mesut was the only friend she had who knew about everything, but never treated her differently for it. Of course he worried, Arabella knew that, but he never smothered her with 'are you alright's and 'are you sure's, and she appreciated that more than he could ever know.

"I know I've already said it, but I've missed you so much," Mesut mumbled, finally releasing the girl. "I missed you too, Goldy," Arabella grinned, finally being able to nickname him again.

The nickname Goldy was a funny story, at least to them it was. But Mesut had let Arabella swear on her life that she would never say the nickname around one of Mesut's teammates.
Goldy had come from goldfish. One time, shortly after they had met, Arabella and Mesut had been out on a hike. After walking up hill for a few hours in the blazing sun they had both been a been a bit light headed, so they sat down.
"You look so funny," Arabella had said. "Like a little fishy."
The day after Arabella had called Mesut 'goldfish' as a joke. Soon that turned into Goldy, and so Mesut became 'Goldy' to Arabella.
The story was probably more funny to them than it will be to anyone else. There was no way they could explain everything that made it so funny, I guess it was something that was only hilarious if you had been there.

"I even missed hearing you say Goldy," Mesut laughed as he slunged his arm over her shoulder and escorted her inside.

-----

"So, you just upped and left?" Arabella asked before stuffing another hand full of crisps into her mouth.
Mesut nodded, his neck nearly cracking. "I was so done. It was either leave or kick her in the vagina," he stated. Arabella snorted, imagining Mesut kicking an annoying reporter in the vagina. "That would've been the best headline since 'squirrel gets drunk and trashes bar'!" she exclaimed, remembering how hard the both of them had laughed when they had seen that headline.

"Yeah, well, she had no right to imply that I was breaking up Cristiano's "family" by hanging out with you," Mesut said grumpily. Arabella just laughed and shook her head. "What happened to mister media-doesn't-phase-me?" She questioned. "He died when he met that reporter," Mesut stated with a small grin.

"So? How was your date? Don't deny it being a date, Manuel already spilled everything," Mesut asked whilst lying down on his stomach like girls do in chickflicks.
Arabella chuckled at the sight and shrugged. "It was alright."
"Alright!? It was just alright!? What is that supposed to mean!?" Mesut shouted out, making Arabella roll her eyes. "It was fun, he's nice," she explained.
"Girl, you're not making it sound any better," Mesut said with a frown. His friend was so clueless and naive sometimes.
"What? How am I doing something wrong? What am I supposed to say?" Arabella questioned, slightly raising her voice and flailing her arms about.
"I don't know," Mesut grinned "Maybe; oh my god, had such a great time, Manuel is soooo handsome!" For extra effect Mesut had put up his version of a female voice and placed his hands on his cheeks.
Arabella laughed and threw a crisp at him. "You're such a loser."