Chapter Ten - Beach

“It’s so beautiful!” Arabella gushed as she ran in front of Mesut and Manuel. The two men laughed at her childish behaviour.

“I never want to leave here,” she sighed, spreading her arms and closing her eyes. She spun around and opened her eyes. “Please help me remind that I have to force Cristiano to buy a house here,” Arabella joked. “What, can’t take care of yourself?” Mesut teased. “Well, I can but that’s not the point,” Arabella grinned, throwing her arms in the air.

She loved this feeling she had. It was the feeling of freedom and pure happiness. A rare feeling for Arabella. Well, up until a few years ago, but even then she still worried about unnecessary things. But now her mind was empty, it was like the sea breeze had blown and taken all her demons and worries away.

“You’re just living from Cristiano’s money?” Manuel asked in surprise. He hadn’t expected Arabella to be such a girl. Arabella looked at him and shook her head. “No, my job is to take care of Junior,” she started. “But instead of getting paid, Cristiano took me in his house. That’s my payment,” she said. “You see living with him as payment?” Manuel asked.

Normally Arabella would’ve gotten mad by now, but she noticed Manuel wasn’t being judgemental about it, like most people.

“I see the roof above my head as a payment,” she specified. “And the trips without Junior?” Manuel asked, sitting down in the sand. Arabella sat down next to him and shrugged. “We’re best friends, that’s how I got the nanny job, so we do things together. Cristiano is always the one insisting on paying, because –and I quote-  ‘I don’t pay you for anything so how I can you possibly pay this’. It’s how he shuts me up,” Arabella explained. “Basically I’m his bitch because he knows I’ve got no money,” she giggled.

Mesut smiled at the sight of his friends sitting there. He was sure that this could work out, if they just had enough pushes in the right direction.

“Guys, I have to go,” Mesut said, faking like he just got a text. “What? Why?” Arabella asked in surprise as she stood up. “My mother wants to Skype,” he quickly lied. “Oh,” Arabella said sadly. “Well, tell her I said hi.” Arabella threw her arms around Mesut’s neck and hugged him. “I will,” he reassured her. “I’ll see you soon, okay? Call me if you need me,” he said before pressing a kiss to her forehead. Arabella nodded and watched Mesut say goodbye to Manuel.

Just like that the two were left on their own. “How are you getting back to your hotel?” Manuel asked as she sat back down next to him. “Why? You want me gone?” she teased. Manuel smiled and shook his head. “Not persé, I’m just asking.”

“I’ll just take a taxi,” she shrugged, lying down on her back. “I won’t let you take a taxi by yourself,” Manuel said. Arabella laughed, but then realized he was serious. “Why not?” she asked with a frown. “Do you have any idea how dangerous it is here?” Manuel asked, cocking his eyebrow. “No?” Arabella said, a bit unsure. “Very,” Manuel chuckled. “I’ll call Cris then,” Arabella smiled. Manuel nodded. There was no way he was going to let her go back on her own.

“So how did you meet Cristiano then?” Manuel asked, playing with the sand. Arabella swallowed, wondering if she should tell him the truth. Then she mentally hit herself, what was she thinking? She knew the man for, what, 5 hours? No way, she could trust him.

Arabella shrugged. “We met on the beach,” she mumbled. She was really lying, just keeping some things out of the story. “And Cristiano started talking to me, and we’ve been friends ever since.” Lie.