Chapter 1: Moving to California

Katniss POV

I roll down my window as I take in the beach of California. I never really wanted to move here, my parents died in a car crash about 6 months ago and Prim and I are now moving to California to live with our uncle Haymitch. Prim is so excited to be living near a beach. She's 15 years old now and I'm 20. I'm hoping that soon I will be able to move out and live by myself. I have always been one of those girls that never really had many friends. The friends that I have been real, not any of those fake want to be's.

Haymitch pulled up to the massive beach house and Prim was already out of the car and inside. Haymitch chuckled and went in after her. I grabbed my bag and headed inside, the house was huge. Haymitch directed me to my room and once I got up there I dumped my bag on the bed and got changed into a pair of short denim shorts and a loose white top that cut off at the bottom and showed my belly button. I looked in the mirror and braided my hair to the side. Prim walked into my room and stood next to me.

We looked nothing alike, her with her blond hair and blue eyes and peachy, rose skin. I had silver eyes, dark hair and tan skin. Everyone likes Prim with her bubbly personality, whereas no one really likes me, especially after my parents died, I tended to shut people out.

"I'm going for a walk," I say to Prim and she nods. I'm going to unpack first," she says, and runs off to her room. I walk out into the hallway when she calls me back,"Oh, and Katniss, be nice," she says with a smile and I give a small laugh. "I'll try Prim." I say before walking out the door and down to the beach, which was practically one or two blocks down the road.

The beach is packed with people and the air is hot. I walk over to the drinks stand and buy a lemonade. I walk down the beach sipping my drink. I can see that there is a big commotion going on further down the beach and as I get nearer I see that there is a beach volleyball match going on. The teams are made up of boys, all with their shirts off, and the crowd is practically all girls; screaming and cheering for their favorite. I roll my eyes and continue to walk past the game. I can hear the cheering from the crowd.

Just then a body comes flying into me and knocking me to the sand. My drink spills all over me and I let out a tiny "Oh," the boy who knocked me over is standing in front of me. "Are you alright?" He asks, holding his hand out to help me up. I look up to be met with the bluest eyes I have ever seen. His blond curls fall over his face and he has a look of worry on his face. "I'm fine" I say, and ignore his offer to help me and stand up myself.

I look down at my top and see that it is completely soaked in lemonade. I groan and turn to walk away, but a hand shoots out and grabs my wrist. I turn around to be met with the same boy that knocked me over. "At least let me buy you another shirt," he says. I look at him. Is he always this nice? "I said I'm fine" I say. "Hey Peet, you coming back over?" I hear one of his teammates call over to him. He turns around and yells over his shoulder, "In a minute," and then he turns back to me, but I am already walking off again.

"Hey, wait, " he calls and I can hear him running after me. Doesn't this guy ever give up? I stop and turn around to face him again. "I'm Peeta, Peeta Mellark," he says, holding out his hand. I eye it carefully before placing my own in his and shaking it. "Katniss, Katniss Everdeen," I say and he breathes out a sigh."Katniss," he says quietly to himself. I take my hand away from his where he is still gripping my hand tightly. "Now if you don't mind, I'll be off," I say and once again turn around. This time he walks next to me.

"How about that shirt?" He asks and I roll my eyes. "Fine, if it means you'll go back to your volleyball game. Can't let your team down, can you?" I say with a sideways smile. He grins at me and leads me to a T-shirt stand and he buys me a new tank top almost identical to the one I was wearing.

"Thanks," I say afterwards and he smiles at me. "Well, see you," I say and his smile falters a little. "Are you not coming back to watch the game?" He asks and I shake my head. "No, I should probably get back to my sister," I say and he nods his head. "Well, I hope I see you again, Katniss," he says and I nod before turning around and walking off. I look back over my shoulder and see that he is still standing in the same position, staring at me. I turn back around quickly and head off back home, wondering if all the boys in California were that nice and persistent.

Edited by SunshineRainbow7

Follow her! She's amazing!