Chapter 9: Beach date

I glance at the palm trees that are a deep green against the vivid blue sky. The sand and the water look very inviting. I had put my purple bikini on in the hope that I would go swimming, but I think I should have asked Johanna or maybe Annie to come with me. The water will be no fun on my own.

My feet sink into the warm sand. Maybe I can call Delly or Madge and see if they want to hang out; I haven't really seen them since they came to see me in the hospital.

I glance at the lock screen of my iPhone. It was a picture of me and Peeta that we had taken yesterday. I had my arms around his neck and am laughing at the camera while Peeta kisses my cheek. I smiled at the thought that I had learned to trust someone and that I had been lucky enough to be Peeta's girlfriend.

"Oh," I get thrown to the ground as someone runs into me. Their arms go around my waist and we fall into the sand.

I open my eyes and am immediately met with blue eyes. "Hey," he smirks.

"Ugh, get off me Mellark." I roll my eyes.

"Nope, I'm fine like this." He smirks at me again.

"You did that on purpose." I stare at him, trying to keep a serious face. "No, I swear I didn't. But I think that you should kiss me right now." He gives a cocky smile. I roll my eyes again before pulling his lips down to mine.

He kisses me again and again. He deepens it and I run my hand up his leg, past his waist and onto his stomach. Just as he goes to deepen the kiss even more I draw my hand back and punch him in the stomach. I can feel his muscles through his shirt and I know that my punch didn't hurt him, but that wasn't what I intended.

"Ow." He says out of instinct. I smile up at him. "What was that for?" He asks with a smile playing on his face. "You can get more kisses at the music festival tonight if you're good to me." I challenge him. "I'm always good to you," he mutters as he rolls off me and onto his back next to me. I turn on my side and give him another quick kiss.

"I know." I whisper. "So do you want me to teach you how to surf? And then we can go out for dinner before the music festival tonight. As our first official date?" He asks. I smile at him "I would love that." He stands up and offers his hand out to me. I grab it and he pulls me up but keeps his hold on my hand.

We walk down the beach to where a lot of our friends are sitting and enjoying the sun. "Hey Katniss," Delly says, giving me a small wave. I smile and wave back.

Peeta grabs his surfboard and I take off my singlet and shorts and throw them on the sand before running into the water after Peeta.

Once we are far out enough Peeta stops and turns to me placing his hands on my waist. "You ready?" I nod and lie on the board. "Just so you know this is going to be really bad." I warn him. "Oh, I know, my girlfriend is clumsy and has bad balance." He smirks. I lift one of my hands off the board and whack him across the back of the head.

He smiles and then shows me how you paddle and then stand up. I see a big wave coming and start to paddle. As soon as the wave is under me, I hear Peeta yelling at me to stand up. I stand up but then flip backwards and my back smacks the water, hard.

I come up gasping for air and see Peeta swimming over to me. "Are you okay?" I nod and Peeta rubs my back as I cough out water that I swallowed.

"Do you want to try and stand up on the board now that there is a break in the waves?" Peeta asks. I look out at the ocean and see that he is right, the waves have turned to smaller waves. I nod and Peeta helps me back onto the board.

I grip his hand tightly as I try to stand up. I get about halfway up when my foot slips and I fall backwards onto the board. I let out a groan as I lay on my back.