Chapter 2: The Hob

I walk through the front door after coming home from the beach and I can hear Hi-5 playing full blast through the house. I groan and I walk into the living room. Prim and a very drunk Haymitch are standing on the coffee table, singing into the TV remotes and jumping around like idiots. There is no way in hell I will be able to live in a house with a 15 year old Prim and a drunk Haymitch.

I huff as I stomp up the stairs and into my bedroom. I hadn't unpacked yet and I was thankful for that. I grab my bag and my iPhone and stomp back down the stairs "PRIM" I yell over the music, but she doesn't hear me "PRIM, HAYMITCH" neither of them take any notice of me so I walk over to the TV and switch the music off. That got their attention. "Kaaaat" Prim whines at me, but I ignore her. "Haymitch, I'm leaving. I need my own apartment, my own space," He looks at me blankly for a moment before saying "Thank God! Now we can party as much as we want, Primmy," and Prim giggles.

She runs over to me and gives me a hug. "If you're going to have your own apartment, make sure you take lots of boys home," she giggles. "Prim," I scold her but I can't suppress the smile that creeps onto my face. I say my final goodbyes and then I am out the door. It's only 5:00 in the afternoon so in another hour or so it will be almost dark.

I walk down the street and look at all the apartment complexes. There are tons. I walk down the beach. There are still a lot of people enjoying the last rays of sunshine for the day. Finally, I spot an apartment buliding that is about a block away from the beach, which would be perfect. I walk over there, struggling with my heavy bags of clothes and other stuff.

As soon as I get into the lobby I dump my bag onto the floor and walk up to the front desk. The lady looks up. "Hi, i was wondering if you have any apartments available for rent?" I ask. "Hang on a sec," she says and she looks through her computer. She looks back up at me with a smile. "You're in luck, someone just moved out this morning. You can have that apartment, but you won't be able to move in until tomorrow because it still has to be cleaned and the old owner is still moving her belongings out."

I don't even have to think about it before I say "I'll take it." She smiles "Perfect, now if you could just sign this paper," she pushes about 5 pieces of paper towards me and I sign them all. "Thank you, I'll come back tomorrow." I say and I walk out the door. It looks like I'll be sleeping on the beach tonight. There is no way in hell I am going all the way back to Haymitch's.

I sit down on the sand and look out at the waves that come slowly rollling into the shore. There are less people now and the sun is halfway through setting. Just then, a figure comes and sits down next to me. I turn my head and see a girl with brown hair. "Hi, I'm Johanna," she says and I nod my head. "Katniss." I say. "You new here?" She asks. I nod. "Yeah, I'm moving into that apartment complex tomorrow and now I just need a job and I will be fine," I say and she grins up at me. "If you need a job then the place that I work at is hiring at the moment. I'll be your boss." She says, pointing to herself.

"Where do you work?" I hope it's not some strip club or something, that would be a mood killer. "At the hob, its a really popular bar/restaurant on the beach front. Everybody goes there." She says and points down the beach, where I can just make out the building of the hob. "Sure, I'll apply. When do you want the interview?" She looks at me and then starts laughing. Did I say something wrong?

"No need for an interview, Brainless! Consider yourself hired. I like you, you have some sort of... ehh... spunk... yes thats the word, spunk." I grin at her and lean back on my hands, "Thanks." "Do you need a place to stay for the night?" she asks. "That would be really helpful actually," I say. "Well, I'll make a deal with you. If you come and work right now, I'll let you stay over tonight." I think about it. I could use the money, plus I wouldn't have to sleep on the beach. I nod my head. "Sure."

"Wonderful." She says, and stands up. She offers me her hand, and I take it as she pulls me up from the ground. I grab my bags and we head down the beach towards the hob. I can hear music going and the place isn't packed but it does have a lot of people. We head around to the back door and enter what looks like the staff room. I hear Johanna call out, "MADGE, YOUR SHIFT'S OVER!" Just then a pretty girl with blonde hair runs into the room. She pauses when she sees me.

"Madge, this is Brainless, our new worker person thingy." Madge smiles at me. I then realise she still doesn't know my actual name. "Katniss." I say and she walk up and hugs me. It takes me off guard, but I hug her back anyway. "Well, Katniss, it's great to meet you but I'm off, have fun." She calls over her shoulder as she flings her bag onto her arm and walks out the door. "She's very friendly," Johanna says.

"Here, take this, Brainless. It's your uniform and bathroom's over there, you have 5 minutes," she says, and I walk into the bathroom and get changed. I'm wearing a tight black dress that hugs my curves and it has an extremely low neck line. I roll my eyes at the fact that Johanna would make me wear this for work. Of course it's so that I will get a lot of tips. I can't help but realise now why this place is so popular and busy, and I have the feeling that most of the customers are guys. I walk back out and I see Johanna give me a knowing smirk. "Girl, you are gonna earn millions in tips working here." I smile and try to hide how uncomfortable I am with wearing this. "What's wrong with my shorts?" I ask, and Johanna rolls her eyes. "Brainless, get to work. Your table is 26 for the night."

I nod my head and walk through the door into the restaurant/bar. I scan the room and look for table 26. It's a little booth on the side of the room and I make my way over there, carrying the notepad Johanna gave me for orders. Once I get to the table, I groan when I see that the people I am serving are no other than Peeta and his volleyball friends. Ugh. I am in for one hell of a night.

------

Vote and comment and tell me what you think so far!

Edited by SunshineRainbow7
Follow her! She's amazing!