Chapter 21: I'm Sorry

I take slow steps as I force myself away. I want to turn back and comfort him, comfort me. Oh God, how much I want to end this pain. But I don't want him hurt. I love him too much for that.

I'm a magnet for danger and trouble. He probably had no troubles at all before I came. The closer I am to him, the closer Marvel is. Marvel likes to hurt the people that I love. Look at my parents.

I let out a choked sob and sink down to the sand as more sobs wrack my body. I bury my face in my hands and tears fall freely as my body shakes with loud cries and weeping sounds.

"I'm sorry, Peeta. I love you." I cry and I sob even harder. I feel a hand on my back and I stand up abruptly, and spin around, only to be met with the kind eyes of Annie.

I sob and throw my arms around her. I clutch her tightly, crying into her hair as she rubs my back.

"Kat, what happened?" She whispers. "I think I just broke up with Peeta." I whisper. I pull away and she looks shocked.

I look down the beach and see Peeta stand up and rip a frond off the palm tree and throw it to the side roughly before he runs off. "Katniss." I hear Annies voice ring out. I turn to her. She is looking towards where Peeta just was.

"Katniss, he's going to do something bad. He loved you too much." I feel anger and worry explode inside of me.

I feel my eyes widen and I look back towards where he disappeared just seconds ago.

"What have I done?" I say loudly. "What did I do?!" I scream, my face a mask of horror. Annie wraps her arm around my waist and helps me walk to her and Finnick's apartment down the road.

She guides me up and opens the door. Finnick looks up as we enter and a look of confusion and worry crosses his face.

"What's wrong?" He asks. "Finn, I need you to go find Cato and Gale. Alert the police. You need to go find Peeta. This is extremely important, something bad is about to happen. NOW!" She says and Finnick gets up quickly and grabs his phone before he runs out the door.

She sets me on the couch and I cry. She disappears into the kitchen and comes back out with cake and a mug of tea. I accept the tea and sip it slowly.

"What did I do?" I whisper. "I need him," I say. "I need him so much. He was my rock, he made me feel safe." I say and Annie rubs my back.

I don't even get a warning this time. I just drop my cup where it smashes on the floor, and bolt to the nearest room; the laundry.

I throw up into the sink and Annie comes running in looking terrified. "Go away." I whisper between each retch. "You don't need to see this."

She sighs and walks over to me, holding back my hair. "Don't talk like that, you're one of my best friends. I'm not leaving you." I smile weakly before another swooping feeling flies through me and my stomach churns. I gag and throw up into the sink again.

I turn the tap on and clean the sink with a rag. I throw the rag in the bin once I'm finished.

Annie opens the top cupboard and pulls down a box. She looks around inside until she pulls out an unopened toothbrush. I thank her and walk to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

I splash my face with cold water and then walk out to join Annie on the couch.

"Do you want to watch a movie, take your mind off things?" I shrug my shoulders and she stands up and put a movie into the DVD player.

When she pulls away, I see the menu of Never Let Me Go flash on the screen.

I've never seen this movie but I don't really pay attention to it. I can't stop worrying about Peeta. If something happens to him, it will be all my fault.