Chapter 37: A Big Ocean

Never in my life have I run so fast. The phone goes crashing down to the floor in slow motion as I sprint out the door, ignoring my friends' calls.

I sprint through the horrifying storm and end up getting completely soaked from the rain in just the short distance to my car. Ignoring the speed limit and the dangerous roads from the storm, I speed to the airport as fast as I can.

I run through the doors and see people are setting up to camp out on the floors and waiting chairs. What's going on?

I sprint up to the counter. "I need a ticket to the next flight to Australia." I say and the lady looks at me. "I'm sorry, miss, there are no flights going out tonight due to the storm," and I feel my heart plummet.

"No!" I gasp. "No! You- you don't understand. My boyfriend, he's in the hospital. I need to get there, now." I cry and she shakes her head. "I'm sorry, miss, but there's nothing I can do."

I'm not thinking clearly, and somewhere in the back of my mind that registers as my next thought comes to mind, but I ignore that and act on my impulse. I sprint out of the airport building and without even bothering to go to my car I rush through the storm as I try and get down to the pier as fast as possible.

I go down to the small portable reception building and my wet hair and clothes drip onto the floor. "Please," I beg the man. "Please can I get a ticket to Australia?" He looks at me like I'm crazy. I probably am crazy. Like I said, I'm not thinking straight.

"Miss, boats our size can't travel to Australia, especially in this storm." He says with a chuckle and I reach into my bag which is filled with water from the rain. I pull out a massive wad of money that I got from my singing performance. I shove it in his face.

"All this is yours if you take me to Australia." I say and he stares at me, wide-eyed.

"Miss, where did you get that kind of money?" He asks and I shrug. "Some singing performance." I say and he blinks in recognition. "You're Katniss Everdeen." He says. "Gee, thanks, I didn't know that," I say sarcastically. "Now take me to Australia!" I yell and he takes the money, stowing it in his pocket. "Right away."

I follow him out into the rain and wind and we walk down to his boat. It's medium sized. He was right, it is dangerous to take a boat this size across the other side of the world in this weather. But I don't care. I need to get to Peeta.

The man take about 10 minutes setting things up and then we head inside the boat. The floor rocks and dips under the heavy waves.

"Are you sure about this, Katniss?" He says and I nod. "I'm sure." The man eyes my swollen stomach and my hands cover it protectively on instinct. "You expecting?" He asks and I roll my eyes. "Obviously," and he laughs. "I like you girl, you've got spunk."

"So, um, what's your name?" I ask.

"Call me Chaff." He answers, and I give a fake smile.

The boat starts and we zoom out across the waves, the wild water spraying up in our faces. "I'm going in." I say and he nods. "Okay, Katniss." He says.

"Wait, you know where you're going right?" I say and he chuckles. "Of course I do. I have a top chart navigational system." I sigh. Of course he does. "Goodnight, Chaff." I say, before heading into the cabin.

In here, protected from the harsh waves and the whipping winds, I can finally lie down on the bed and cry, cry for Peeta and for the baby. Cry for everything. I was so distraught I didn't even ask Peeta's mum what happened to him. I just knew I had to get to Australia.

I scoff through my tears. "I kept complaining that I wanted to go to australia and here I am, sailing across the world on a boat not capable of this sort of journey, in the middle of a deadly storm.