Chapter 19: Can't Hold On

"Hello, Miss Everdeen?" I hear a male voice say that sounds vaguely familiar.

"Uh yeah, that's me." I say, unsure, and I see Peeta look from the road to me and then back again.

"Miss Everdeen, this is Plutarch Heavensbee calling about the record deal. Have you changed your mind?"

My grip on Peeta's hand tightens and he looks at me again. I ignore Plutarch's question and say in a scared voice, "How did you get my number?"

I feel Peeta's hand grip mine even tighter.

"I believe it was your sister? Primrose? Yes, she gave it to me." Plutarch says. "So, how about it? Still want that record deal?" He asks again.

"I said no the first time and I'm saying no again! Don't bother me again!" I say, very close to yelling. Peeta rubs his thumb over the back of my hand to calm me down.

"Miss Everdeen if you coul-"

"I said no!" I yell and end the call, throwing my phone onto the floor of the car.

"Kat, who was that?" Peeta asks.

I breathe in and out a few times to calm myself before speaking. "It was that stupid record deal guy! What the hell is his problem? Does he not understand the word no?" I start on a big rant but Peeta pulls up to our apartment and I stop as we get out of the car.

My phone rings again and I pick it up and roughly press the answer button without looking at the caller.

"Can you just leave me alone!" I scream and I am shocked when I hear a girl's voice respond with, "Are you alright, Katniss? You sound a bit...stressed?" She says with a laugh and I calm down.

"Oh hey, Prim. Sorry, I thought you were the record deal guy. And by the way, thanks for giving him my number." I say sarcastically.

"Did you say yes?" She asks excitedly. "No, Prim, I'm not taking that offer. I'm sorry, but nothing is going to change that." I say sternly and I hear her sigh, "Okay Katniss."

"So why are you calling?" I ask, leaning against the side of the car while Peeta plays with my hair.

"Oh, well Haymitch, Effie and I are all going to New York for a while since Effie had to go back home, and Haymitch wanted to see something there and I'm just tagging along." she says.

"Right, okay. So when will you be back?"

"I'm not sure yet but I will let you know... Okay, I have to go! I'll talk to you later, bye!" She says quickly and then she has hung up before I can respond.

"Um, bye?" I say into the dead receiver. I put my phone into my back pocket and take Peeta's hand.

I ignore his questioning looks and pull him up to our apartment.

After unlocking the door, I stumble over to the couch and flop down, picking up the TV remote and turning it on.

"I'll go make dinner." I hear Peeta say as he moves into the kitchen. I flick through the chanells until I come to a news report which I skip past but go back to after I hear those three little words: "Mission to kill."

I get up from the couch and move closer.

I'm listening to the report thinking that this is sounding very familiar when 2 pictures appear on the screen underneath the words 'Mission to kill.'

I quickly pause the TV and stare at the photos.

Fear shoots through me and I feel my head get dizzy as I see the two pictures. One of Marvel and one of me and my family.