Chapter 24: Cravings

I freeze, my body rigid with shock and anxiety. There can't be any more bad things to happen to Peeta and I. I can't believe how much we have been through and the doctor has the nerve to give us bad news! Peeta senses my panic and rubs my back.

"Breathe, Kat. Remember to breathe." I nod and let out the air I was holding. I try and concentrate on his warm hand that is moving in slow circles on my back.

"Don't worry too much, the news isn't too bad." The doctor assures me. I nod. "Okay, so what is it?"

"Well, the good news is that as long as Peeta here looks after you, you are free to go home today instead of tomorrow." I nod. I'm excited to be getting out of here but where will we live?

"And the bad news?" Peeta asks cautiously. "The bad news is that there is a few hundred reporters outside the hospital waiting for you." He says and I feel my heart speed up.

"I knew I should never have sung that stupid song." I cry and Peeta hugs me tightly. "It had to be done, Kat. If you didn't, we wouldn't have any money." I nod and try to convinve myself that this is a good thing.

"I'll leave you two alone. Katniss, I would prefer it if you used a wheelchair since the stiches aren't fully healed and just to be careful." The doctor says before walking out.

I groan. "Do I have to use that?" I ask and Peeta shrugs. "I think you should, to be careful." I throw my head back against the pillows and frown.

"I'm hungry." I say and Peeta turns around from where he was getting my clothes from the bag. "That was random." he says, smiling, and I shrug. "Pregnant woman over here needs food." i say and he walks over and hands me the clothes. "Pregnant woman also needs to get dressed before she can have food." He says with a smile and kisses me quickly.

I swing my legs over the hospital bed and Peeta grips my waist and helps me off the bed so that my feet are planted firmly on the ground.

I don't even bother walking over to the bathroom, I just strip off the papery hospital gown in front of Peeta and pull on the skinny jeans and cotton top. Peeta's hands slip under my arms and he lifts me up and sits me on the bed. He lifts my foot and rests it on his upper leg and pulls some socks onto my cold feet, followed by some shoes.

"Thank you." I say, wrapping my arms around his neck and gazing into his ocean blue eyes. I feel his arms sneak around my waist and pull me closer to him.

He starts to lean in, but just as his lips brush against mine the door bangs open and Rye and Josh walk in.

"Oops, sorry little bro and sis, did we interrupt something?" Rye smirks and Peeta rolls his eyes.

"Don't stop on my behalf." He waves and Peeta shrugs. "Fine, we won't." He faces me again and within the next second his lips are against mine. I run my hands up his back and into his hair, pulling him closer to me as our lips connect again and again.

I moan and Peeta's grip on me tightens. "Okay, okay, I think that's enough now!" I hear Josh say followed by an, "Ugh, this is making me feel sick," from Rye. I smile against Peeta's lips and I can feel his lips open in a wide grin as we continue to kiss. He deepens it and Rye jumps up.

"Okay, okay, that is enough! Get a room!" He shouts and Peeta pulls away. "We have a room, but you're in it." He smirks and Josh groans.

"Come on guys, let's go home already." Josh says, and I slip off the bed. I sit in the wheelchair and Peeta starts to push me towards the door when Rye stops. "Hey Katniss, you didn't tell us what exactly happened to you. Why are you in the hospital?" He asks and Josh stops. "Yeah, what happened?"