Chapter 7: You Saved Me

Katniss' POV

I can't believe what actually happened. I still can't think about the fact that only a week ago I was dead.

I also can't stop thinking about that kiss that I gave Peeta. I said that I loved him but it's too soon. I can't move on this quickly after Marvel, I don't trust anyone, especially guys.

I hope Peeta understands that I am not ready for a relationship yet, even though I am 100% sure that I have some feelings for him.

I got released from the hospital earlier today. It's been one week since I "died" and I have to say it was one of the scariest things I have ever been through.

I hear a knock on my aparment door. It must be Peeta. He texted me earlier and asked if I wanted to go for a walk along the beach later.

I walk down to the door and open it, stepping out and locking it behind me. Finally, I turn to face Peeta. I can't tell what he is thinking but I know he wants to talk about that kiss and he also wants to know what happened and why I am alive.

"Hey." I say. He smiles at me. "Hey." We walk down to the beach and I close my eyes as we stand on the soft sand, looking out at the calm blue water that is reflecting the array of soft colours from the sunset.

"It's truly beautiful." I say with my eyes still closed. I feel Peeta's hand slip into mine and I'm ok with that. "I know." He whispers. We walk down the beach, still holding hands. The sounds of the water rolling into the shore calmed me.

"I know why you're here," I say. Peeta looks at me and a small sigh escapes him. "Katniss, I need to know how it is you're alive. Last week was one of the most frightening days of my whole entire life. You have no idea how much you scared me, Katniss." I take in a deep, shaky breath, trying to hold back the tears.

We come to a stop and we face each other, staring into each others eyes. We are still holding hands.

"Peeta I..." I trail off and turn my head to look at the beautiful sunset. I feel a single tear fall down my face.

"Hey hey hey," Peeta said calmingly. He gently grabs my chin and turns my head so I'm looking at him. His hand cups my cheek and his thumb brushes up to wipe away the tear.

"Don't cry." He whispers. I nod my head and sniffle back the tears. I know I now need to tell Peeta. He deserves to know the truth about my life and about my supposed "death".

I sit down on the sand and Peeta sits next to me.

"About 6 month ago, I was dating a boy named Marvel. He was so nice and caring and loving, and I thought he loved me. One day he just lost it. He used to abuse and use me and threaten to kill my family." I take a breath and Peeta rub his hand up my back.

"The day I broke up with him, he promised that he would kill my family. He was drunk as usual. I ran all the way home to protect my family but once I got there I saw only little Prim. My mum and dad had gone out for dinner." Another tear runs down my face and this time I quickly wipe it away.

"I never saw my parents again. They were killed in an accident caused by a drunk driver... sometimes I think it was Marvel... sometimes I question it though. That's why we moved here. My parents were dead, and I needed to get away from Marvel. He is set on killing me." I finish off.

"Oh Katniss," Peeta says. He brings me in for a hug and I cry into his shoulder. His hold comforts me and soon I have calmed down enough to tell him about how I died.

Peeta's POV

She draws in a shaky breath as she starts to explain the drama of last week to me, and how it is that she is alive today.

"The last thing I remember before I died was you pulling me out of the pool and screaming at me to stay with you. After that I...I don't really remember anything. I just remember hearing your voice slowly grow louder in my head. I woke up and I had no idea where I was, but then I saw you. You were looking at the ceiling holding back tears and that's when I knew that I would be ok."

She wipes her tears with her fingertips. "It was you Peeta... you brought me back... you saved me." A freah wave of tears burst through her and her body shook with the loud sobs. She was full on crying now.

"Come here," I say gently, pulling her in for a hug.

"Thank you Peeta," she whispers "We're gonna be ok."

She pulls back from the hug and we stand up again. "Thank you for opening up to me Katniss, for trusting me." I say as we continue to walk down the beach.

"Peeta, did you mean what you said to me? Once I woke up?" At first I'm confused by what she's asking, but then I remember what I said... those three little words... I love you.

"Yes." I whisper. I hear her take in a sharp breath. Somehow I can't take it anymore. I grab her face and gently push my lips onto hers. She is startled at first but then her lips start to move with mine. Fireworks fill my body. All too soon she pulls away quickly with a gasp, as if she had only just realised what she had done.

"I'm sorry, Peeta," and with that she turns around and runs off the beach in the direction of home. "KATNISS!" I call out. Damn it Mellark! Ugh! You had just gotten her to trust you and then you go and kiss her?

Now I've surely ruined any slight chance I had of getting to be with her.

Sorry for the short chapter... Tell me how it was!!

Edited by SunshineRainbow7

Follow her! She's amazing!