Chapter 10: Secrets

Katniss' POV

"Katniss? Katniss, what's wrong?" Peeta's face clouds my view.

I lean around him and look at the spot where I swear I just saw Marvel... Maybe it wasn't him? He disappeared as quickly as he appeared.

"I swear I just saw... never mind." I say, still staring at the spot. It couldn't have been Marvel. He has no idea where I am.

I look back at Peeta and instead of seeing him staring at me like I expected, he was looking frantically around the beach... searching. He looked scared.

"Peeta? Are you alright?" I ask. He turns back to me. "Yeah uhh I'm... I'm fine." But he still sounds distracted.

I can't help the intense feeling that is clawing at my chest, the feeling that tells me that Peeta knows something that I don't.

"Peeta, what do you know?" He looks at me with shock and I can't tell if it's fake or not. "Katniss, I said I'm fine, dont worry."

Just then my phone rings and I can barely hear it over the music. I pull Peeta away from the crowd and over to a palm tree where I take out my phone. It's Johanna.

"Hey Jo." I say, "Katniss, where are you? Your shift is about to start!" She says. "Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'll be there in 5!" And then I hung up.

"Hey Peeta, I forgot I have a shift at the Hob tonight, do you want to come or stay here?" I say. He takes my hand in his. "I'll come and sit at the bar." I smile and we half walk, half jog down the beach to the Hob, which is packed with people tonight.

I run out the back and quickly get dressed into the tight black dress that we have to wear. When I walk out of the bathroom I see Jo standing there, waiting.

"I knew I hired you for a reason, you look hot!" She tells me. "Yeah yeah, tell yourself that." I say and walk towards the door. As I pass her, she smacks my bum, making me jump and turn around, giving her the evil eye. She just laughs and pushes me out the door and into the busy restaurant/bar.

"What table?" I call out. "Table 14." I hear someone from the back call out. I grab a notepad and walk out, bumping my hip with Peeta's as I pass him.

I walk over to table 14 and see yet another table full of rowdy boys. I mentally curse Johanna for always giving me the tables full of boys who do nothing other than flirt.

I walk up to the edge of the table. "What would you like to order?" I say, trying not to be too sweet.

"Well HELLO!" One of them says. I roll my eyes. "Did you hear me or do I need to repeat myself?" I demand.

"Woah, this one's fiesty, and I like it!" The same guy as before says. "Okay, for real this time we will have 4 beers and a bowl of hot chips... Oh, and some lemon cut on the side." I raise my eyebrows at their order but don't make any comment on it.

"Can I have your number?" Another guy asks.

"No, you may not have my number." I say and they all look disappointed so I continue on teasing them. "I don't make a habit of giving my number to strangers or hooking up with them for that matter." I see Peeta walking over to us with a look of pure hatred and jealousy in his eyes.

He walks over to me and runs his hands through his hair and gives me an award winning grin. "Hey, I'm Peeta, and you my lovely lady are...?" He asks, and I know exactly what he is doing.

"Dude, don't bother she doesn't hook up with strangers." One of the guys from the table says. And I decide to play along with Peeta.

Peeta's POV