Chapter 17: Dark Streets

"Miss Everdeen, I'm here to offer you a record deal."

I stare at him shocked. "Ummm, what?" I say, bewildered.

I feel Peeta's hand rubbing circles on my lower back.

"A record deal, Miss Everdeen. You know, when you g-"

"Yes, I know what a record deal is." I snap and Peeta kisses my neck from behind me to calm me down. I sigh and look back to Plutarch.

"Well then good, so what do you think?" He asks me, slightly holding out the clipboard with papers attached to it.

I stare at it in his hands, unsure of what to do. "Uh can I...have a minute?" I ask timidly. He nods and then turns around and walks towards the table with food and drinks.

I turn around and everyone is staring at me in shock.

"What does he want to give me a record deal for? Does he want me to be embarrassed?" I ask.

"Oh no, Katniss." Annie says sweetly.

"Yeah Kat, that was the best singing I have ever heard. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true." Gale says to me.

I must still looked worried. Because Peeta places both his hands on the side of my face, forcing me to look at him.

"Kat, what I just heard then was so amazing. You're so beautiful and you are really talented. This would be a great opportunity, okay. But I want you to choose what you're comfortable with. I love you no matter what, okay?" He says and I feel my heart stutter at his words.

"Thank you," I whisper, "And I love you too." I lean up and give him a quick kiss.

I walk towards Plutarch who is standing by a palm tree waiting for me. I know exactly what I'm going to say.

"So Miss Everdeen, have you thought about it?" He asks, standing up straight.

I nod, "I have thought about it and come to an answer."

"Go on," he hustles and waves his hand at me.

"I have decided that I will not be taking you up on your offer." I say and he stares at me in shock.

"B-b-but Miss Everdeen, you're a natural. Everyone would love you, everyone. Not to mention the money you would get, or the fame." He states quickly as though talking fast was going to change my mind.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I don't want fame or fortune, I'm happy here." I state and cross my arms to emphasize my point.

He sighs, defeated, and nods. "I'm sorry for bothering you." He says and turns to walk away but stops. He pulls something out of his pocket and hands it to me before turning around and walking away.

I stare at the business card in my hand with the phone number and address on it.

I walk back to Peeta and the others and they are all staring at me expectantly.

"I said no." I say, and their jaws all drop to the ground.

"Katniss! What the hell?" Clove yells and Peeta wraps his arms around me. "Guys, it's her decision, leave her alone." He says and I turn to him.

"I have to go, I have the breakfast shift tomorrow. You should go too Jo, you have the same shift as me." I say and Peeta nods.

"I'll come home with you," he says. "Peeta I'm fine, I can walk home. You should stay and enjoy yourself." I say and he shakes his head.

"I'd be worrying about you the whole time." I sigh, defeated, and say good bye to the others and walk off hand in hand with Peeta.

"Tomorrow after my shift, Jo and I organised to go to the new shopping mall and get my new phone, and I think she wants to go somewhere else as well so I will be home a bit later." I tell him and he squeezes my hand before letting go and wrapping his whole arm around me.