Chapter 40: Waking Up

1 week later (2 weeks after the accident)

Katniss' POV

I can't really take notice of anything, but I feel as though I have been miles away from reality for a long time. Slowly, voices begin to come into focus and I can feel a warm hand clamped around mine. I can also feel a hand brushing at my head. It's soothing, and I focus on that and the voices.

"Peeta, you haven't left her side in two weeks. You really need to go home or have a shower." I hear a man's voice. "I'm not leaving her. Never." I hear another voice.

"Peeta, it's been two weeks and she's shown no sign of waking up or progressing."

"She has to wake up. She will. I need her, Dad. I need her to live." I start to get confused so I squeeze my eyelids tight and then slowly blink my eyes open. The man standing up gasps and splutters as he points at me. The man sitting next to me snaps his head in my direction and his eyes widen as they fill with tears. He has unruly wavy blond hair and bright blue eyes. "Katniss." He breathes. Why would he say that? Isn't it the name of a root plant?

"Oh my God. Katniss." He says again and leans forward and presses a kiss to my forehead and cheeks. "I was so worried about you. Oh, I'm so happy to see your eyes." He says and I look at him, panic-stricken.

"Uh," my voice comes out raspy and I cough. "Uh...do I- Do I know you?" I ask and his face falls. I see panic spread like wildfire across his face. His hand brushes at the hair on my forehead.

"You...you don't know who I am?" He asks and his voice cracks. I shake my head. "And uhh...who am I?" I ask, suddenly not knowing what my name is.

The man stands up abruptly. "Peeta," the older man warns but the blond just walks quickly out of the room. "I'll be right back." The older man says and he follows the blond out the door.

I look down and notice a baby bump on my stomach. What? I'm...pregnant? But how? Something's not right.

Not long later, the two men come back into the room with a nurse. "Katniss, great to see you." The nurse says and suddenly I realise something. "Katniss? Is that my name?" I ask, since everyone keeps calling me that. The nurse nods. "Yes, that's your name."

"Can I ask a question?" I ask and the nurse nods.

"Am I pregnant?" I ask and I see the blue-eyed guy who was already crying let out a sob as he sits down in the chair and buries his face in his hands.

"Yes, you are." She says.

"Whose baby is it?" I ask, confused.

"Your boyfriend's." She says sadly. "I have a boyfriend?" I ask, surprised, and the man beside me starts crying harder.

The nurse points to the man with blue eyes, almost as though if she said his name out loud he would start crying even more, if that's possible.

"He's my boyfriend?" I ask, my voice squeaking high." But I've never met him before, I don't know him!" I protest and the older man rests a hand on my 'boyfriend's' back. "Well, at least you're hot as hell." I say. I can't make sense of why everyone is thinking he's my boyfriend.

"I'm so confused." I say and bury my face in my hands.

"Peeta, don't worry," the nurse says. "This was likely to happen. She's just confused and getting over the head wound. I'll give her a shot and when she wakes up she will be perfectly fine. I promise." She says and I hear a sniff. Blue Eyes looks up from his hands. "I love you." He says before taking my hand in his as the nurse shoots something through my IV.

I feel my eyes getting heavy and drowsy and I let myself fall asleep.

When I wake up I feel so light, it feels like I've been asleep for years. I open my eyes and am met with Peeta sleeping peacefully next to me, his head on the same pillow as mine. "Peeta," I gasp when I see he isn't dead like his mother had told me.