Chapter 30: The Fight

I jig my knee up and down uncontrollably as Peeta and I sit in the waiting room of the doctors office. Peeta rests his hand on my shaking knee. "It's going to be alright, Kat." He smiles reassuringly at me.

"But what if it's not, Peeta? There's a good chance I might have lost our baby. I'm a terrible mother already." I say, burying my face in my hands.

I feel Peeta's arms wrap around me. "Kat, you're not a terrible mother. You're going to be a great one, I can tell. And it's not your fault, okay? Please just relax." He says and pulls me in close to him.

I breathe in his sweet scent and immediately relax as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Miss Everdeen." I hear a voice say. I look up to see a nurse standing by the door. I flash Peeta a nervous glance before we both stand and walk after the nurse, hand in hand.

We enter a room with several monitors and computers. I lay down on the bed and Peeta stands next to me.

"So, this is your first checkup?" The nurse says and I nod. "Okay, well do you want to lift your top for me?"

I slowly lift my top over my stomach, leaving my belly bare.

I feel the gel that they put on you spread across my stomach and I shiver.

The nurse holds the monitor over my still flat stomach and we wait about 10 seconds before a faint beating comes through the monitor.

"Oh my God." I say, covering my mouth with my hand. I look at Peeta, my eyes wide. He is smiling so big as he looks down at me. At us.

He leans down and kisses me quickly and I smile. I feel happy tears build up. I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face.

"We're gonna be okay." I say and Peeta nods. I can see tears in his eyes as well. I turn back to the nurse.

"How far along am I?" I ask, and she takes another look at the screen. "You are 12 weeks along, you should start to show in a few more weeks." She says. "Do you want to know the gender?" She asks, and I look to Peeta.

"I'd rather not." He says, and I nod in agreement. "We'll keep it a surprise." I say, and the nurse smiles, "That's the best way to do it!" I laugh and wipe the gel off with the paper towel that she hands me.

I sit up and pull my top down properly. Peeta takes my hand as we walk out and to the front desk.

The nurse checks something on the computer. "So you will need to make another appointment for about 3 months time,when you're around 6 months through." She says and I nod. "Can we call at the time?" Peeta asks and the nurse nods, "Yeah, just let us know." She smiles and we say thank you and walk out towards the car.

"Thank God." I sigh and Peeta smiles and grips my hand tighter. "We're going to make it." He says and I smile at him.

I jump in the car and turn to Peeta. "Do we have to go anywhere before Gale's going away party?" I ask as he starts to drive. "We have to go to the bakery and pick up Rye and Josh, and then we will head over to Delly's house." He says.

That's right. Delly is the only one of us that doesn't live in an apartment. She lives in a fairly big house with a huge pool out the back.

We pull up in front of the bakery and get out. Peeta grabs my hand as we walk in. The bell above the door rings as we open the door.

I freeze when I see Peeta's mum standing behind the counter. "Peeta, how nice to see you." She says with a fake smile. She turns to me. "Oh, and you've bought your lady friend, uhhh, what was it again, Catpiss?" She says in a mocking voice.