Vampire Guardian: Chapter 2.

Chapter 2

Pumped Up Kicks - The Fosters

Peter's new job started the next night. From rushing back to his home town in Mississippi, he had to go back to New York and get a small beat up apartment in the town of Mt. Sinai.

Later that night, he was reading through Scarlet's file in the small empty apartment he had to call home from now on. His car is parked outside, a black 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle.

"The father is twenty-three and the mother that left was twenty." Peter tosses the file on the coffee table in front of him. "Fucked up young parents." He spits before getting up.

He grabs his coat, putting it on and staring at the clock that's on the wall. It's late at night and his time to check on the family for the first time is now.

Over the years, Peter experienced many things between Scarlet and her father. Her father being a strict man and most of all not a social drinker was a struggle. Peter couldn't do anything to help her but he had no desire to do so. Scarlet grew up knowing that her mother was never going to come back and that her father will never love her.

Peter's emotions for helping humans were distant. The only thing he did with humans was take advantage just to kill them for his need of hunger.

When Scarlet was twelve she got beat up by a group of kids. Peter stood in the darkness behind a tree, watching Scarlet staring down at the ground. If he wanted to go inside the house he wouldn't be able to. Vampires need to be invited in a human home. She was sitting on her bed while her father was pacing back and forth with anger.

"I said to you next time they touch you, you hurt them." He snaps, standing in front of her. Scarlet looks up at him, her black eye swollen to the point where she can't see through her left eye.

Peter saw it happen. Scarlet was playing during recess but these kids ganged up on her and pushed and tossed her around like a ragged doll. Her bottom lip had a stinging cut also, blood dragging down it after she was left in the sand below the swing sets.

Peter doesn't stay that long in the daytime, especially when she's at safe places like school or basketball practice. Vampires can walk in the sunlight but it drains so much energy and they grow weak. If they stay out long in the sun without realizing and don't blood in their system, they can burn. Simple like that, they always have to be on point just like a fat kid trying to eat his veggies every night. They usually sleep during the daytime and prey at night. But now that Peter has this job, he barely gets sleep.

"But dad I don't want to fight. I'm not like that." She stands up, hoping her tall height that's not average for a twelve year old will give her some confidence.

"Don't be a wimp, Scarlet! I don't want this to happen to you again!" He erupts and she grows furious, shoving him back. He stumbles into the desk behind him and Peter raises an eyebrow. This is the first time he has ever seen Scarlet touch her dad. Their life is like a reality TV show.

The dad sucks in a sharp breath bringing his arm back and swinging it across her face, knocking her off her feet. For some reason, Peter takes a step forward feeling this anger build up. The blood in his veins boil and his vampire side starts to take in, feeling the sharpness of his nails press against his pale delicate skin on his palms.

Scarlet collapses onto the floor, clenching her throbbing cheek with her hand. Her father storms out of her room and out the door, leaving her all alone in the big house.

The next day, her father signed her up to do karate.

For years Peter watched Scarlet everyday of her life. He would follow her bus to the middle school, to her away basketball games and her walk home when her father was nowhere around. Scarlet was a well-known girl in her high school luckily. She would go out to parties, go to the football games, stay home and read a book.