Vampire Guardian: Chapter 43.

Chapter 43.

Freakin' Out On the Interstate - Briston Maroney

Finals week began and I was studying for my exams. Peter was still unconscious, however the wound on his neck was healing. Collin would come over and feed him, pour some blood in his gaped mouth.

A week passed and it was one of the toughest moments in my life. I had to cremate my father's body. Luckily, he had life insurance so I was able to pay for it. Once they handed me the vase full of his ashes, I drove to the docks.

In the middle of the night, fearless of vampires attacking me, I poured his ashes in the water. Peter wasn't here to protect me but I didn't want to be protected anymore. There's no way to protect me forever from the monsters that I know about. They know who I am now, there's no going back.

I cried on the way home and eventually stopped when I pulled up on the driveway. Due to my childhood home being empty now, I am able to move back in there. The mortgage has been paid off so I owe nothing for it. I decided to put this apartment for rent with my landlord and move out once Peter wakes up.

It'd be better to not pay rent and live in the house that has all the things I own while going up. I would sleep on the couch since Peter is still on my bed. Before going to bed I'd sit on the edge of the bed and talk to him about my day.

"I hope you wake up soon." I say, getting no response in return. I fiddle with the hem of my t-shirt, swallowing the lump in my throat. "You just make everything so easy. I haven't felt this anxious in so long." I wipe my eyes, trying not to cry again.

I gasp when I feel something touch my hand. I pull away from it but when I look down, it was just Peter. His hand is able to move around but he is still unconscious. I slowly place my hand on his and he wraps his thumb around my palm.

"This is so weird." I admit, frowning to myself. He was a corpse for almost a week and now he's slowly moving. "I really, really care for you." I whisper, leaning down to his face. I press my lips against his forehead.

I kiss him and slowly pull away. I get up and close the door, making my way to the couch. I wonder what he's thinking. Guilt, anger, sadness. It made me think of the life he had as a human. Losing his family and ending up like this. It hurts to know how dark he became because of his life being taken away.

~*~

School ended, it was officially summer. I surprisingly passed all my exams and didn't need to retake any classes. First year of college has ended! Unfortunately, while Karley and I celebrated with ice cream, Peter wasn't around. He is able to move his limbs but do nothing else.

He is able to open his mouth when Collin feeds him but that's it. It's been two weeks. Two weeks with Peter being like this. Collin has seen Roman around however he's making sure we are safe.

Roman wants nothing more than just Peter. He is waiting for him until he wakes up, calling for him. The connection of a Maker and son. I knew that he is going to cause trouble. His blood will be boiling once again and he's going to end it all.

Once Collin tosses the remaining of the blood bag in the trash I clear my throat. He looks up to me with a smug look and I shove my hands in my jean pockets.

"I need a favor." I start and he stares at me.

"Should I be worried?"

"Maybe. It means getting involved with your kind." He chuckles than shakes his head.

"No, last thing I want is Peter to wake up and find out I took you to your death." He is about to walk past me but I grab his arm.

"Collin, wait." He stops in his tracks and looks at me. "Peter is going to wake up infuriated, we both know that." Collin takes a step back and crosses his arms over his chest.