Prologue

I looked at the white colored walls as the sound of machines beeping filled my ears, and heavy smell of antiseptic filled the air. The room was dark, only a sliver of light streaming in from the corridor along with the sound of chatters from nurses.

"Rosie."

I quickly held my husband's hand as he lay on the hospital bed; looking frail and helpless.

"I'm right here, my love."

"Where are the kids?" He asked me.

"They went home with my mom. They were starting to get tired and sleepy." I told him.

"Why didn't you go home?" He asked me. "You need to rest."

"I'm not leaving your side." I told him firmly. God knew how tired I was from the sleepless nights that I spent just watching him sleep as if everything was okay. He didn't need to know that though. I didn't want him worrying over me.

He nodded, knowing not to argue with me, and raised our intertwined hands; placing a kiss on it. "I love you so much, Rosie. You are an angel; you are my angel."

I could feel the tears starting to gather at the corner of my eyes. "I love you too, Nicholas, so much." My voice was above a whisper trying to hold in the tears from falling.

There was a short silence before Nicholas spoke again. "I want you to know that you and the kids are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I can die a happy man now knowing that I had someone as you beside me."

"Nicholas, please don't say that." I lost the battle as a tear trickled down my rosy cheeks. I laid my head on Nicholas's chest, not wanting him to see me cry. "You have to stay strong and fight this." I murmured against his beating heart.

"Please don't let the kids forget me." He said in a whisper as he smoothed my hair. Oh what would I do if he died? I knew it was a matter of when rather than if. I knew that I was losing my husband to a cruel, sneaky, and remorseless disease; Brain cancer.

It was short while later that I felt Nicholas breathing evenly so I looked up and saw him sound asleep. He looked like an angel. He looked so serene. Why was this happening to him? He had never hurt a single soul. I knew all those questions wouldn't change a thing. I just had to hope and pray for him to get well. I placed a soft kiss on his forehead and walked out of the room; needing some fresh air. I felt suffocated like the walls were closing in on me.

I slowly walked down the hall to one of the vending machines. inserting a dollar bill into the coffee vending machine, I waited a few moments until it dispensed the selected drink. I held the coffee in my hand then started walking back to the room when I suddenly hit someone hard; making the hot coffee spill all over the unlucky stranger.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking." I apologized half heartedly as I looked up at the person who was the victim of my spilled coffee. He was wearing a white coat; indicating that he was a doctor.

He was silent for a moment as he looked into my eyes. "It's okay. Don't worry about it." He told me; not taking his eyes from mine. "Let me buy you another cup of coffee."

I shook my head. "It's fine. I should get back to my husband."  His face suddenly fell. I ignored the look of disappointment on his face and started walking away when I heard his voice stopping me in my tracks.

"I didn't get your name."

I turned around. "Rosie."

He nodded with a small smile on his face. "Doctor Julian King."

I nodded in acknowledgement, then turned back around and headed to my husband's room.

Weeks passed by and Nicholas's health kept going downhill. I felt so helpless watching my husband slowly slip away. For some reason doctor Julian King kept visiting us and making sure that everything was okay even though he wasn't Nicholas's doctor.

"Rosie, sweetheart, you need to eat something." I heard my mom whisper from beside me. I was holding Nicholas's hand in mine as he slept; afraid to let him go.

"I'm not leaving Nicholas alone."  I informed her.

"He's not alone, sweetheart. I'm here and so are his kids." She told me. I looked at my kids and smiled a little as they gave me a huge smile; clueless to everything that was going on.

"Okay." I agreed without arguing, knowing I needed to eat something. I couldn't remember when was the last time I put something in my mouth. "I won't be long." She nodded. I stood up and walked out of the room.

Whilst sitting in the hospital cafeteria eating a sandwich, I heard a screeching noise. I looked up and saw doctor Julian King taking a seat in front of me.

"You don't mind me sitting, do you?" He asked me.

I shook my head. "No." I said in a low voice. I know he meant well, but I wasn't really in the mood to interact with anyone. All I could think about was my husband.

"Rosie." I looked at him. "I don't know how to tell you this. I know it's the wrong place and the wrong time." He started. "I also know that we've known each other for only a couple of weeks."

"Please don't finish what you were going to say." I pleaded, interrupting him mid sentence. I knew what he was going to say, and I didn't want to hear it.

"Just hear me out."

I looked at him incredulously. "I have a husband in there that's dying." My voice was full of anger as I pushed the sandwich away and stood up. 

Doctor Julian stood up. "Please, don't get me wrong." He told me in a low voice as he looked around the cafeteria, noticing the eyes they were now directed at us.

"I have to get back to my husband." I muttered as I started to walk away.

"Rosie, please wait." I stopped in my tracks, but didn't turn around. I could feel footsteps approaching me and suddenly the heat from his body radiated against my back.

"I'm sorry that I upset you, and I guess luck wasn't on my side, but mark my words, Rosie" he came a little bit closer, his mouth against my ear as he whispered the six words I would never forget. "one day you will be mine." With that he walked away, leaving me rooted to my spot for a moment.

Walking back to Nicholas's room, I noticed the nurses running inside the room and my mom was standing outside leaning her back against the wall, and crying as she held both of my kids's hands. She looked up at me and I could see the sadness in her eyes. My heart started beating fast; my hands started sweating, and I felt like the world just stopped. I knew what was happening, but I was so afraid of facing reality.  I ran inside the room and saw my husband barely breathing. The nurses were fussing around him, but I acknowledged no one as I ran to his side and fell to my knees. At that moment there was no one but him. Holding his hand in mine I looked him in the eyes.

"Nick, Nicholas, baby, please stay with me. I need you here." Tears were freely flowing down my cheeks.

"Ma'am, we need you to leave the room." One the nurses ordered.

"No!" I screamed as I held Nicholas's hand tightly.

"I love you, my angel." He breathed his last words before he closed his eyes eternally.

"No!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add 'Divine Will' to your reading list, and follow. :)