Chapter Sixteen - "My Answer Is Yes"

"Julian, um... I want to give you an answer to your proposal." I said as I wrung my hands nervously. Julian looked at me wide eyed and nodded hesitantly. "My answer is yes. I will marry you."

His eyes suddenly lit up and a smile slowly crept onto his face. "Are you being serious right now?" He asked me in disbelief and I slowly nodded. Julian pulled me into a hug before I could even blink. He squeezed me tightly as if he was afraid that I would slip away from his fingers at any moment. A moment later, he pulled back and looked at me with love and adoration in his eyes. I couldn't, for the life of me, understand why he loved and adored me so much. "You have made me the happiest man on earth right now. Do you know that?" He didn't give me a chance to reply before I was being pulled into his chest once more. "I have waited so long for this, Rosie. Thank you." He murmured against my hair. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around him; relishing in the safety and comfort of his touch. After what seemed like a long while, I pulled back and looked at him then turned my gaze sideways.
"Rosie, can I ask you a question?" He asked me in a low voice.

I looked at him and nodded. "Of course"

"What made you say yes?"

"Um..." I tucked a stray lock of my hair behind my ear before I answered. "I saw how you rushed here when I told you that Lily Rose was sick and I also see how you treat the kids so well as if they're your own, but what made me even more sure certain of my decision was what Lily Rose did today." I told him. "She ran to you as if you were her safety blanket because she was scared that I would yell at her. It means she trusts you."

Disappointment could be seen clearly in his eyes. "So it's not because you feel anything for me?"

I looked down at my hands and I could hear Julian sighing. I looked up at him before saying. "I do like you, Julian, but please try to give me some more time to feel something stronger towards you."

He nodded. "Okay, I can settle for you just liking me at the moment. It's better than nothing." He gave me a half hearted smile.

I held his hand in mine. "Thank you." I whispered.

Julian stared at me for a moment as if contemplating something in his mind. "Can I kiss you?" He asked me with a hopeful smile and I nodded hesitantly as a small smile crept onto my face. He leaned forward and his lips moved to mine. I didn't move away, but turned slightly to face him more directly. My eyes were closed, but my lips were parted ever so slightly. His full and throbbing lips touched mine and he suckled on my lower lip before his tongue slipped between my parted ones and danced with mine, stroking my mouth to ecstasy. I felt his arms around me as he slowly pulled me closer to him. I responded to his touch and our bodies were pressed tightly together.
Pulling back from the kiss, Julian and I both stared at each other like time had stopped.

"You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met, love." I looked at him wide eyed; surprised at his choice of endearment. "Is it okay if I call you love?"

"Do you love me?" I asked him in voice above a whisper.

Julian held my face softly in his hands and stared at me for a moment as if mesmerized by me. "I have loved you since the very first day I met you."

My cheeks flamed red at his confession. "You don't mean that."

"Oh, but I do." He assured me. "You have never left my mind; not even for a moment, for the last five years." I shifted my gaze downwards suddenly shy and nervous. "I love you, Rosie." He whispered through the silence. He suddenly released his hands from my face and stood up. I looked up at him; confusion written all over my face. He shoved his hands inside his pants pocket and brought out a small blue box then bent down on one knee. I gasped knowing exactly what he was doing.