Chapter Twenty - Safety Measures

I told Julian everything that happened, from the moment the three men walked in to the restaurant till the time I ran smack into him.

"I'm so sorry, love. I'm so sorry." He apologized.

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked him as I painfully turned sideways to get a better look at him.

"Just thinking about what would have happened to you..." He trailed off as he shook his head.

I placed my hand on his arm making him look up at me. "It's okay, Julian. I'm okay." I assured him.

He shook his head and gazed downwards. "No, no. It's not okay. I can't handle something like this happening to you." He said then looked up at me. "I want you to quit your job."

I stood up then winced at the sudden movement that had my body aching all over again. "I am not quitting my job, Julian."

Julian noticed my discomfort and stood up quickly. He snaked his arms around my waist and I happily leaned into him. "We'll talk about this later, love. Your mom and kids are waiting for us in the living room." His tone was soft and soothing. I nodded and he walked us to the living room where my mom was sitting on the sofa, but no sight of the kids.

"Where are the kids?" I asked my mom as Julian helped me sit down then sat down beside me.

"I put them to sleep since it was getting late." I nodded and promised myself to make it up to them the next day. "Rosie, sweetheart, what happened to you?" She looked worried.

"Do you want me to tell her?" Julian whispered to me and I nodded. He started filling her in on everything that had happened all while my mom had a horrified look on her face, and tears could be seen gathering at the corner of her eyes. "I think she should quit." Julian finally said.

"I'm with Julian on this one." My mom said and I looked at her disbelievingly. "Rosie, sweetheart, you're my only daughter and I love you. I don't want any harm to come your way. What do you think would have happened if Julian wasn't there?" I looked down at my hands like they were the most fascinating thing on earth.

"Rosie, are you okay?" Julian whispered close to my ear.

I ignored him and looked up at my mom. "I can't quit, mom. You know that. How can I pay the rent? How can I provide food for the kids? How can I pay the school fees?"

"Move in with me." Julian blurted. I turned my face towards him and stared at him for a moment.

"I better get going." My mom said; most probably to give us some privacy to talk. I turned my gaze towards her and watched her as she stood up, walked towards me and pulled me into a hug. "Please be more careful, sweetheart." I nodded and she kissed my forehead then walked out.

Once I heard the door click shut, I turned my gaze towards Julian trying to figure out if what he said was a spur of the moment. "Move in with me." He repeated, unknowingly assuring me that it wasn't a spur of the moment.

I shook my head. "Not before we get married."

He grabbed my hands with his and looked into my eyes. "Then let's get married as soon as possible. I want you beside me, you and the kids. I want to know that you're safe at all times. I don't want you to worry about the rent, food, or school fees." I shook my head and diverted my gaze downwards. Julian placed his index finger and forefinger under my chin; tilting my face up so that he could look at me. "Are you starting to change your mind about me?" He asked me in a low, but playful tone.

I smiled and shook my head. "No, but I don't want to depend on you."

"I'm going to be your husband, Rosie. It's my job to take care of you and the kids, and believe me I am more than willing."