Chapter 6: Spare Moments

It was two weeks till Christmas break and I had spent the past 2 months in the library with almost every spare moment I had. Quidditch practice was getting exceedingly longer and more intense. James had taken over as Quidditch captain ever since Calum had gotten a concussion from a quaffle to the head. James felt like it was a personal duty of his to tell me every single technique issue wrong with my form or if my time went over my record at breakfast the next morning. I knew that I wasn't the best flyer in the world, but I was sure better than your average bloke. Professor Slughorn had started keeping me after class to give me private lessons in potions because I was his 'top student' and he 'couldn't let my talent go to waste'.

One morning at breakfast I got so fed up with James scrutinizing every moment of my flying that I snapped, I lost it and completely took out all my stress on James. I think I might have punched him but I honestly can't remember. All I remember from that scene was the tears blurring my vision and every student gawking at me as I stormed out of the hall. James and I wouldn't speak to each other for the rest of the week and we had to us Albus as our messenger. Albus eventually lost it too and refused to talk to either of us until the problem was fixed. James approached me the next day after Quidditch practice and I practically fell into his hug, I missed him so much.

With Quidditch taking up most of my time and Slughorn pushing me past his NEWT level students, my grades began to eat me alive and I still had to figure out what had happened that night. I spent every minute with Scorpius in the library just trying to complete all my homework and turn it in on time. Scorpius said that I needed to take a break for a little bit, that he would do my homework for me, but Hermione was my aunt and Ginny was my mother and they raised me right, so I couldn't let that happen.

Scorpius came with me to the library today and said he'd help me with my transfiguration work. He was incredibly talented in transfiguration and was incredibly helpful when it came to explaining things better than McGonagall did. I finished all my homework and had started flipping through the pages of books trying to find anything related to a headache or migraine anywhere but I couldn't. I could feel my eyelids gain about 30 pounds as the slid closed and my head slid down, meeting the book pages as I fell asleep.

Scorpius tapped my shoulder, "Lily, wake up."

I moved in my chair, my neck cramping from the way I had fallen asleep. "Hmm?" I mumbled as I raised my head from my book, slowly opening my eyes.

"Lil's, the library is about to close," He said his hand rubbing my back sending tingles down my spine.

I rubbed my eyes sitting up "Crap, how long was I out?"

"about 35 minutes, I saw you crash and thought it was best to let you sleep, I know you haven't been getting much lately."

I sighed closing the book I had fallen asleep on top of and slid my homework and textbooks back into my bag. "Oh... Thank you."

Scorpius smiled and put away the books we had read through "Not a problem."

I leaned back in my chair and ran a hand through my hair, it was tangled and looked completely disorderly. I had spent weeks searching for an answer and all I could find was some potions to relive headaches. It was like every time I got closer to an answer, it would just jump out of my reach. I needed to talk to someone, someone who would know more about it than me.

I turned over the necklace my father had gotten made for me in my first year over in my hand. It was a transparent shade of maroon with the deathly hollows symbol centered in the middle. My father had told me how to use it years ago, but I could never figure it out. I'd ask for specific people and they'd flash before me but disappear before I could ever get a good look at them.

Scorpius stepped over to me and looked down at me, his eyes traveled from my untucked shirt to my messily knotted tie up to my lips and then to my eyes. He offered me a warm smile and I halfheartedly returned it. He softly grabbed my hands from the sides of my thighs, "C'mon," he said puling me up out of the chair. I got up and he grabbed my bag swinging it over his shoulder.

"We've got to do something to get you out of this funk," he said swinging his arm over my shoulder as he pulled me closer to his body, sending tingles throughout me.

"Hmm," I grunted as he led me out of the library.

Scorpius squeezed my arm and let his arm fall from my shoulders and he grabbed my hand, "Come with me," he said as his steps speed up until he pulled me out of the front doors and down onto the Quidditch place.

I shivered, the temperature was freezing and I had left my sweater in my room. "Scor, wheat are we doing? I already had practice today."

He smiled "Yeah, but," he tossed me a broom, "you didn't actually fly."

He was right, at practice I would just try to coast through it until it was over. I had forgotten what truly made me fall in love with Quidditch in the first place. I laughed and looked down at the broom in my hand then looked back up at Scorpius, "I'll race you."

He smirked "You're on, Potter."

"Bring it, Malfoy."

I jumped onto my broom and so did Scorpius, I kicked off the ground and speed past him. He flew after me until he was flying right beside me. I lowered myself onto my broom so I was pushing my chest against the wooden broomstick. My hair was flying all around me as I flew as fast as I possibly could. I felt free as I soared through the air, my breath slowly escaping my lungs. My entire life, future, and existence was centered around quidditch, I lived for the feeling of flying, I lived for the rush and I had let my stress completely engulf me making me forget why I truly loved it in the first place.

I looped around the pitch twice and landed about 10 feet away from Scorpius who had landed once I started flying just to watch me circle the stands. I dropped the broom at my feet and ran to him, almost tackling him to the ground as I grabbed him into a hug. He hugged me back as he pushed my hair that was struck to my forehead from sweat out of my face. He pulled me to his chest tighter and I smiled as I murmured out a small 'thank you'.

"Lily, I'd do anything to make you smile," He said with all seriousness. Something inside me softened, like someone had damaged me, but Scorpius had fixed it. I couldn't explain it, I didn't even understand it, I felt different. All I could do in the moment was to hug Scorpius tighter and cry softly into his shirt.

Scorpius noticed and lifter my head up to look at him, "What's wrong?"

I smiled softly, "Nothing."

Scorpius used his thumb to wipe away the tear that had fallen down my cheeks, "You shouldn't cry over nothing Lil's, your too beautiful to cry."

I laughed a little and loosened my grip around him, "It's not nothing, just something changing."

Scorpius's eyes flickered with something, something I hadn't seen before, "Oh? What's changing?"

I let go and backed up a few steps to grab my bag and put the brook away, "I'm not really sure, I just feel kinda fuzzy all of the sudden."

"I see."

I smiled as we walked back to the softly lit castle and headed to the common room, I stopped just outside the portrait of the fat lady, "I think I'm going to go take a shower."

Scorpius nodded, "Okay."

I smiled tugging slightly at the hem of my skirt, "Goodnight, Scor."

"Goodnight, Lil's."

I smiled before turning around and heading to the baths, feeling oddly satisfied.

Thank you, guys, for reading, you all are the reason I'm continuing to write this. I wrote this chapter and then rewrote it a couple of times deciding what exactly i wanted to happen with the little Scorlily moment. I know it's kinda a teaser but I think that if i pushed it like I wanted to, the story would have gotten increasingly awkward. (Image of Alex Pettyfer as Scorpius Malfoy)

Read, comment, vote!

-Morgan