Chapter 24: Scorpius

My back was stiff against the bed as if it had been bound into a stationary position. I let my eyes flutter open and saw the grey ceiling above me, a few empty chairs around the room and one pulled right up next to the bed where Scorpius was sitting. I looked over at him with a confused expression as I tried to sit up. Scorpius's had moved fast and stopped me from trying, "Don't move," he must have sensed my confusion, "You'll rip your stitches."

"Stitches? Why not just use a regrowth potion?" I was confused. 

"They tried, but when they gave you the numbing potion, it stopped its reaction from working. They had to stitch your side up the muggle way. To make sure it stays, they said to not let you sit up for a while and for you to not pick at the bandages," Scorpius seemed tired as if he had gone days without sleep. 

I looked around the relatively empty room, empty of my other family members. "Scor? What happened?" 

His voice was calming, "When you apparated to fight Voldemort you splinched your side. Most spliches can be easily healed but you had some pretty strenuous tasks to complete before we could take you to St. Mungo's. After you defeated him, there was more blood loss than a usual splinch so we rushed you here." 

I locked my eyes onto his, "He's gone? Really gone?"

Scorpius nodded, "Forever." There was a small smile behind his words, "When we got you to St. Mungo's they rushed you to immediate care for magical maladies and injuries. James and Albus went with you," I remembered that, remembered seeing their faces, "Your mother and father stayed behind to tell teddy to keep me occupied, then they left too."

"Keep you occupied?" I had a confused look plastered on my face. 

"They didn't want you in the room. If I was there, your attention would be turned to me, it would make it harder for the Healers to do their job." Scorpius was gazing down at the floor. 

"Where did Teddy take you?" I asked.

"To the cafeteria," Scorpius said, his gaze still on the floor.

"Did he hurt you? Did he do anything to you?" I asked. Teddy was distantly related to Scorpius but that didn't mean that Teddy was his biggest fan.

"No, we just talked really... he is very protective of you and thinks quite highly of you," Scorpius smiled and looked up at me, "I have to agree with him."

I smiled, my heart panging in my chest, "Where are they? My family?"

"They went to go eat, I've barely left the room. I wanted to be here when you woke up." He said softly. His small smile disappeared, "I'm sorry I didn't leave when you asked me to." His thumbs chased each other as they rested on his lap, "I just... Lily, I just couldn't lose you." He looked me directly in the eyes, his gaze was captivating, "Lily, I love you."

He had told me this before, yet my stomach still filled with butterflies and my cheeks tinged pink, "I had a plan," I said softly.

"I figured you did," he said with a smirk, which usually made him look more immature, but instead made him seem older. The smirk wasn't a defiant one, but a proud one and that difference alone made him seem so much older than he was and so much more like his father.

His father. I had forgotten about Draco, was he still in Azkaban? Was he still alive? "Scorpius, before I went to fight I saw your father..." I explained with great trouble what exactly had happened and how awful I felt for not telling him sooner. 

"I know, he's safe now. He's on the third floor right now," Scorpius paused, "I found him on my way to find you. I sent my mother my Patronus and she apparated him here."