Chapter Two

Chapter Two

When I pulled up to Ricky's, I felt a pull in my chest. My head cocked to the side in confusion as I looked toward the bar and only felt the pull increase. What in the world was this feeling and why did I want more of it?

The unanswered questions stuck in my head as I hopped out of my truck and walked in through the wooden doors. "Jessie!" Clara yelled as her green eyes scanned over me. I sighed, knowing she was going to hit on me, as per usual. Her arm wrapped around my shoulders as we both took steps inside the almost empty bar.

"You want a beer?" she asked with lust laced in her voice.

I laughed awkwardly and removed her arm. "Ha. Ha. I took the pledge and you know it," I answered dryly. She was poking fun like most everyone in the town did. Everyone either knew me as a wannabe rule breaker or the 'good boy' who did what his daddy told him and got good grades. We can all see where the stereotype ends.

She laughed as I grabbed a Coke from the bartender who knew me well enough to not fuck with me. "I took the abstinence pledge and we all know that didn't last," she hummed. Her eyes had a wicked gleam to them as she continued to size me up. I was a little above six foot with sandy blonde hair, sea-blue eyes, and dimples on both sides of a perfect smile. I had a natural mole right above my lip that drew her eyes in per usual and made me sigh... per usual. It was unnerving how attracted she was to me.

"Clara, I'm sorry but I'm not interested," I started kindly. "I just came to play pool," I said with a shy smile. She was stunned momentarily, giving me time to evacuate. She was always flaunting herself at me and I couldn't help but want to slap her and set her straight. Everyone knew I couldn't date. Dad would die if I even brought a girl home unless she knew he Bible better than her alphabet.

"Call me if you need anything else!" she said as she got her bearings.

"Just another Coke," I said with unease before finding an empty pool table.

"Sure, baby!" she called back, making people look at us. I groaned as she strutted away. Some women had no pride in themselves. Dad always said that a women who didn't respect herself was a woman in need of help. I guess that was one thing we could agree on. Clara was a lovely girl but until she learned to love herself I don't think anybody else would either.

I walked back to the table I'd claimed and grabbed a stick. I was just setting up the rack when a deep baritone hit my ears. "Can I play?"

I peeked up from the perfect triangle I had just made and felt my eyes widen.

Who the hell was this guy?

"Uh," stumbled out of my mouth as I took in the stranger's big build. His dark red hair, so dark it looked black, was highlighted by the bad lighting above the tables. My eyes scanned his face next, seeing the green of his eyes that resembled crisp leaves on a spring morning. My eyes fell to a straight nose, then down to his plump lips that were pulled into a smirk.

What in the world?

"I asked you a question, blondie," he said, snapping me out of my gross thoughts. I watched him still as he slid his familiar leather jacket off to reveal strong, tan arms. This guy looked built for football... or maybe more...

I shook my head and tried to free the thoughts that were clouding my mind. "Uh, yeah," I finally answered, looking into his eyes. "I'll break."

He grunted in response as I set my drink on a nearby table before leaning to break the balls. I flicked my eyes up to him when I heard the click of a lighter and frowned when I saw a cigarette between his pink lips.