Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

It was the Sunday after I lost my virginity to Zane and I was feeling sick. Not that it was guilt or anything, surprisingly, I was okay with everything that was being thrown my way and everything that I was doing with Zane. It was just today.

Sunday.

"Jessie! Someone is at the door for you!" My mom called down the hall as I buttoned my blue Oxford shirt. I had church today and Dad was expecting to see me there. He'd said that if I wasn't I could kiss my freedom goodbye.

Ha. What freedom?

"Coming!" I answered before walking down the hall with black slacks and my dress shoes on. I got to the door and gasped when I found a dark red head of hair gleaming in the sunlight with a simple white button up on, black jeans, and black boots on. I closed the door as I pushed him out with panic settling deep into my core.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" I snapped as Zane ate me with his eyes.

"Wow, baby. You clean up nicely," he said with a grin. I was about to yell at him but stopped with a smile.

"Yeah?" I asked with a grin before shaking my head and stopping myself from falling for his wolf voodoo. "That didn't answer my question, Zane."

He rolled his eyes. "I wanted to go to this church place with you," he said with a smile. "You're not a part of Onyx unless you go to church!" I slapped his shoulder with a laugh, thinking how lucky I must have been to have found a mate like him.

"Zane," I whined. "I can't walk into my church with you."

"Why not?" he asked with his head tilted.

"Well-" I was cut off by Hank's door slamming closed. I looked over and found his mom and him walking to his car. He gave me a wave, which I returned, before meeting eyes with Zane and walking over.

"Hey, guys," he said, but his usual friendly toned was clipped and dry.

"Hey, Hank," I said. Zane stayed quiet as he looked my best friend over in a way that said he would rip his head off if he got too close. "You headed to church?"

Duh.

"Duh," he answered with a grin. He looked over at Zane quickly and then met my own eyes. "Is Zane going?"

"Actually-"

"I think that's a wonderful idea!" my mom said as she came from behind me. I jumped from her sudden entrance and stopped to look over at her. She was wearing a formal navy blue dress with a yellow cardigan covering her arms and half her torso. She had a yellow belt around her stomach with matching yellow heels. Her hair was done down in curls so it met just below her shoulder with very light make-up on.

"Mom," I said, suddenly feeling panicked. "This is Zane."

"I know," she said with a laugh. "He introduced himself when I opened the door." My mouth felt dry as she looked at Zane. I almost wanted to cover him with my body and make her look away. "I think him joining us for service would be nice."

Nice? NICE? Him coming to service would be the very opposite of nice. Dad would take one look at him and know this was the famous new boy I had beaten up. He would also know that Zane was a guy I really shouldn't be hanging out with.

"I don't think-"

"I'd love to," Zane said before giving my mom an award-winning smile. I felt my reluctance blow away when I saw him smile. Maybe it would be okay as long as Hank stayed close and protected us both.

"Well, Jessie is driving me there if you wanted to-"

"No, I'll take my bike," he said with a kind smile.