Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I was sitting in my last period of the day and feeling sick to my stomach. I had ignored Zane all day. I couldn't bring myself to face him after the events on Sunday and he didn't try to talk to me either. I knew he was angry and honestly, so was I.

He had left without a goodbye. I had been stuck all day at some stupid funday where my only entertainment was Hank gluing macaroni to kid's hands. We had gotten in trouble but at that point all I had wanted was to get my mind off of Zane.

I looked over to his desk and found it empty. I sank in my seat and then found myself looking over to Hank, only to find him actually paying attention. I huffed in annoyance and then looked down at my phone.

Meet me behind the bleachers.

I sighed, knowing this couldn't be good in any way. I got up after asking Coach if I would go to the nurse for a stomach ache and was only let go after promising not to miss practice after school. Ha. Like that was going to happen.

I walked to the gym, thanking everything in me that it was empty before sneaking behind the bleachers. I found Zayn leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and bit my lip when he looked over at me. "Hey, Zane," I said softly.

He scuffed and slid down the wall. "Hey."

I went over to him and then sat down next to him. "Are- are you alright?"

"Huh. Am I alright?" he sneered. "Am I alright?"

"Zane-"

"Let's see. My mate ditched me for church, didn't try to talk to me for the rest of the day, and then ignored me in every class we have together all because he is off cleaning duty," he snapped.

"Zane, that isn't at all what happened," I said as I cupped his cheek.

"You must not care at all about me or what this bond means if you can just drop me like that," he snapped. I shrank back at his words before looking down. "You must not get what this means to my people."

"Zane, I just needed some time! My dad was breathing down my neck and was asking me all these questions about you, I couldn't text you," I said as I felt sadness well up in me. "I only ignored you today because I thought you would come to me."

He glared at me. "I shouldn't be the only one trying to fix us."

"You're the one that dragged me into this situation to start off with!" I snapped.

"Oh, so now you're saying you don't want to be in this relationship!?"

I grabbed my hair in my fist and shook my head. It was not like that. It was the exact opposite. "Zane."

"I can't live without you, Jessie!"

"I love you!" I shouted back. He froze as I bit my lip. "I didn't want to say it like this but... you were yelling-" I was cut off by his lips and immediately moaned as he held me close to him.

He pulled away from me and leaned his forehead against my own. "I love you, too, Jessie," he whispered and then we began to kiss again. I held onto him, scared that he would be ripped away from me all over again. I couldn't be without him and we had been together for such a short amount of time.

"Let's go," he said against my lips.

"Go where?" I whispered back as our noses brushed one another's.

"I want to show you something." He pulled me off the ground and we slid out from behind the bleachers to exit through the back doors. He pushed his motorcycle up on my truck and he made me sit in the passenger seat as he headed up to the mountains. I was watching him with a small smile on my lips. He was so goddamn beautiful, even when he was doing something as simple as driving.