Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

School buzzed by with little meaning to it. Zane had been smart to avoid me all the next day after his weird stalker appearance. When he did see me, he would just smile and walk the opposite way with only his black notebook in his hand and leather jacket holding his muscles.

I stepped back into the school after having watched some of the football practice. I had wanted to wait until all the mass of students were gone before making my way into the office, only to find Zane standing there and playing with his pack of cigarettes. He was clad in the same black leather jacket and had his hair slicked back like some kind of greaser.

"Blondie," he said before grinning.

"Asshole," I hissed back. He chuckled and shoved his cigarettes in his pocket. "Why were you at my house last night?" I finally asked.

"I was around and wanted to see if I could sneak you out," he said as he looked me over. "Looks like Samuels beat me to it." I went to ask him more questions when the janitor finally walked up with a cart full of cleaning supplies. I closed my mouth as Zane winked at me.

"Start in the cafeteria. You can leave at six," he said and then walked away. I sighed, not even bothering to argue as I began to push the cart with Zane behind me. I felt his eyes on me and it made me uneasy, much like when the wolf had stared at me in the forest.

I entered the cafeteria and blew out a loud breath. "Sorry," I heard behind me and turned to see Zane staring at me intently.

"What?" I asked.

"I shouldn't have provoked you the other day and last night was uncalled for. I just want to get to know you, Jessie, and you keep putting up walls," he said. I stayed quiet as I grabbed a rag and he threw off his jacket. I watched him, feeling the same curiosity that always ate at me. I looked down his body and then back up, taking in his big build with appreciation.

God help me.

"Whatcha looking at?" he asked with a sly grin. I looked up into his eyes and shook my head as my cheeks grew hot.

Nothing.

I had been staring at nothing.

"Just grab a broom," I sassed as I walked across the cafeteria with my own. I began to sweat as I felt his eyes looking at me as I worked. "Stop watching me and clean."

He gave a laugh. "How do you know I'm looking at you, blondie?"

I paused my sweeping and looked over at him. "I feel it..." I trailed off, not knowing if that was weird. I mean, he was weird, but saying that probably sounded mental.

"You feel me looking at you?" he asked, but I ignored him for the sake of me holding onto my sanity. "Jessie?"

When he said my name my body sparked to full attention. I felt heat grow in my heart and spread through me like wildfire. It was weird and I tried to ignore it, but the sensation only grew as he stared me down. Maybe it was adrenaline.

"Are you ignoring me now?" he asked.

I heard his boots hit the ground as he took steps toward me, but I ignored him. "Do you not like me?" he asked and my head shot up as I realized he was right in front of me. I took a step back but almost fell in my haste, only to be saved when he caught my arm and yanked me into his chest. "I asked you a question, Jessie."

The fire started inside of me again but it began at my arm where he held me and began to pump through my veins. When he touched me everything seemed to stop, and it scared me but also intrigued me to the point where I wanted to be near him.