Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Jessie, please come to dinner," my mom whispered as she combed her fingers through my hair. "I miss seeing my son and I know your dad does too." I scoffed into my pillow and ignored her, just like I had been for the past few days.

She hummed softly and leant down near my ear. "I know you miss him, Jessie, I know. But your dad is never going to allow you outside of this house if you don't pretend that you don't." She kissed my head softly again and went to get up but I grabbed her hand.

I sat up, shirtless and only in flannel pajama pants. "I love you, Mom. It's not that I just miss him." She looked my face over and looked ready to cry. Her usual warm blue eyes were glassy with tears, her well-kept hair laid flat down her back, her made-up face was bare, her usual dress was replaced with an old sweater of mine and a pair of dark blue shorts and her feet were covered in pink boot slippers. She looked so young and yet so tired.

"I know that too, Jessie. I will never tell you who you can and can't love but I wish you would have told me this before, not so I had to... watch," she said with a blush. "I could have helped you break it to your father or something."

"Mom," I said in awe.

"Love is love, that is what God taught me. Not that I have to hate those who choose a different path than my own." She said with a shrug. "You're my son and I will never turn my back on you. I will never let you be unhappy."

"I love you, Mom," I said softly and hugged her small body to my own. "I am so happy to have you."

She laughed and petted my hair down. "Come to dinner, please. It's Thursday, so you know what that means."

I smiled as she giggled. "Pizza," we both said. I rolled my eyes with a fond smile before looking over at the window that lead to Hank's own. He had been throwing rocks for the past few days. I had to ignore him though, because if Dad found out I was talking to Hank he would get a chewing and so would I. And I bet Hank and everyone else in town knew about my relationship with Zane by now. I didn't want to see disgust on the face of my best friend.

I got up out of bed and pulled on a black shirt before walking out of my room and to the dinner table. Dad was sitting at the head of the table and I shook my head before sitting in my spot in front of Mom.

"Nice of you to join us, Jessie," Dad sneered at me.

I rolled my eyes and watched Mom pull the pizza out of the oven. "Didn't want to get gay germs all over you. You know how that works."

He glared over at me but stopped when his eyes met my mom's. She was smiling but had a pizza cutter in her hand like it was a weapon of mass destruction. "No arguing at this table or I will not feed either of you." I nodded as Dad looked down at his empty plate.

The dinner was quieter than usual and I ate more than was necessary, just to piss my dad off. Gluttony was a pet peeve of his and it made me laugh. I scarfed down the last piece and looked over to Dad to see him staring at me in horror.

"Zane taught me that." And before I could even breathe, he had me up by my shirt. Mom screamed as my plate crashed to the floor.

"Charles Paeon, you let him go right now!" she huffed.

We stared each other down and eventually he let me go. "From now on, he eats in his room until he finds the proper way to eat in the presence of his parents. I don't know what that fag did to you but if I ever see you act like this again, I am shipping you off to a camp for those like you."

I felt myself go pale as I looked him in his eyes. "You are going to send me to a camp to fix gay when gay isn't even a problem. You're born gay, Dad. You can't just fix it."